Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Noisy honda when driving?

nitro74d
03-31-2009, 01:35 PM
I have a 96 Honda Accord 2.7L automatic, it has around 130,000 miles on it and it does have it's leaks here and there. All the scheduled maintance things that could go wrong with it have been done. Such as the water pump replace etc. However, for the past few weeks I am getting this high idle sound only when in motion. I look at my tach and it is normal. I stopped the car, put it in park and revved up the engine and it sounds normal. I put it in gear and drive and around 10MPH you can start hearing it and gets louder the faster I drive. I don't have a clue what it could be. Does anyone know what this could be. I have some slipping in my transmission already and had for a long time. Just don't have the money to get it replaced or fixed. Do you think this is tranny related?

nitro74d
03-31-2009, 03:06 PM
When reading farther into this forum, I see that a lot of people are having trouble with the coil which is causing the tach to bounce. I am having that problem also and I will be changing out my coil also. Do you think that the noise I am having could be related to that as well?

somick
04-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Whining noise may be caused by bad wheel bearing. Check wheels for any play in them.

Bouncing tachometer is caused by bad VSS or bad dash circuit board.

Sam

jeffcoslacker
04-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Whining noise may be caused by bad wheel bearing. Check wheels for any play in them.

Bouncing tachometer is caused by bad VSS or bad dash circuit board.

Sam

Some of the V6's had an issue with the coils and would cause the tach to bounce around or drop out...

A bad VSS shouldn't affect tach reading...speedo certainly.

Either way, I doubt it has anything to do with his issue, you're right...sounds like a road speed related noise, hub bearing, tire, differential, etc...

nitro74d
04-02-2009, 11:13 AM
To better describe the noise, it sounds like a deisel truck using the jake brake. So, I was thinking it could be a cylinder going out or bad plugs, so I ordered some plugs, wires, distributer and coil and hopefully that will help, but won't get that in till friday so I will have to wait till the weekend to find out if that does it.

somick
04-02-2009, 02:19 PM
To better describe the noise, it sounds like a deisel truck using the jake brake. So, I was thinking it could be a cylinder going out or bad plugs, so I ordered some plugs, wires, distributer and coil and hopefully that will help, but won't get that in till friday so I will have to wait till the weekend to find out if that does it.
I would not though in parts just because it MAY help, however:
Regular plugs will last you about 30000 miles. Probably time to replace them anyway.
Wires may improve driveability as well as new distributor cap, but I doubt they have anything to do with noise.

Sam

jeffcoslacker
04-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Exhaust leaks are louder under load than in neutral...

nitro74d
04-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Broke down and rented a car so I could take it in. Hmmm, wheel bearing shot. Wasn't expecting that one. Oh well, I am having them fix it since I don't have a clue. I also had a few other things that needed tending too also, so it worked out. $800 later, hopefully when I pick it up I will have a smooth running car again.

Add your comment to this topic!