Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gas smell/starting

jdjim
03-30-2009, 10:13 PM
hello couple quick questions. 03trailblazer ext 6 cyl 60000miles. have had trouble with raw gas smell after you shut it off. when its running its fine. shut it off and walk by it several minuts later you would swear there is a puddle of gas under. cant see anything leaking. took to dealer once a year or so ago and they couldnt find anything. lately its been worse and stronger. doesnt seem to make much differnce on the temp outside or fuel tank level. any insight on this from anyone?
also noticed lately when i go to start it it starts but stumbles at very low idle just enough to keep itself running then after about 5 seconds it takes off, rpms jump up like they should and it keeps running, then runs fine. cant get any help from dealers thier answer to any question now is "we can schedule that in for an appt for you". any help would be appreciated. thanks.

MT-2500
03-31-2009, 09:31 AM
hello couple quick questions. 03trailblazer ext 6 cyl 60000miles. have had trouble with raw gas smell after you shut it off. when its running its fine. shut it off and walk by it several minuts later you would swear there is a puddle of gas under. cant see anything leaking. took to dealer once a year or so ago and they couldnt find anything. lately its been worse and stronger. doesnt seem to make much differnce on the temp outside or fuel tank level. any insight on this from anyone?
also noticed lately when i go to start it it starts but stumbles at very low idle just enough to keep itself running then after about 5 seconds it takes off, rpms jump up like they should and it keeps running, then runs fine. cant get any help from dealers thier answer to any question now is "we can schedule that in for an appt for you". any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Check all fuel lines from engine back to tank.
Is smell coming from under hood area?
Look close where fuel lines go into intake.
Check the evaperate emmision hoses and lines and valves and charcoal filter.

Watch the fuel pressure for fast leak down.

If external fuel pressure regulator pull vacuum line off and look for gas in it.
If so you regulator is bad.

If you want the dealer to work on it make a appointment so they can get it in.

Post back what you find.

Twin1
04-02-2009, 10:08 PM

CHECK OUT THIS LINK . YOU CAN THANK ME LATER
http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet-trailblazer/TC82DA8F4UEJOJ6VF

jdjim
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
thanks for the info. if i remember right i got a notice about having it checked a while back and had it in to get checked and they couldnt find anything. thats been like two years ago and have been living with it ever since. seems like it will go a while and not bother then it stinks for a few months then goes away. doesnt seem to matter full or empty tank. good info on the link but i dont like what i am hearing might be the problem. and we all know how well gm stands behind stuff. ha ha. going to make appt at private service station and see if they come up with anything. need to get in to have starting issue checked.

maxwedge
04-03-2009, 08:53 AM
GM will pay for the repair of this issue iif the lines coming out of the tank are leaking, this is required by NHTSA, as a safety issue, you usually can feel fuel around the top of the tank where the lines come out.

Add your comment to this topic!