Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

NLTS cost me my headgasket

steviek
03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm really f'en pissed right now. My car was running beautifully and I had never used nlts before. I say what the heck lets try it out. It worked the first time I tried it just took a little getting used to. The second time I try it foot is mashed on the pedal engage my clutch and then the Knock cel light flashes I lay off. Didn't think anything was wrong went to the gas station. Filled up still didnt know anything was wrong see the front of my car and there is coolant on the floor. Start it up and its white smoke and the sweet smell of your ass is ****** mixed with oil. Bring it home car is beginning to overheat. fill up the coolant. take out my spark plug. Compressed air into the cylinder and the water is shooting out like a ******* geyser.

I'm just so peeved right now.

On the bright side I have been putting off my INtake manifold install and now its the perfect chance.

NateS
03-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Blown head gaskets suck. I've been there plenty of forgettable times. Sounds like you have an excuse to make it fun though. What intake manifold did you get?

david-b
03-30-2009, 03:42 PM
How did it do that though? I think I just don't understand the feature well enough

SilvrEclipse
03-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Basically when you go to shift gears stay on the throttle and push the clutch in. The computer sees the clutch is in and cuts fuel/spark until you release the clutch. So all power is lost from the motor just like you left off but air continues to circulate and is not released so when you let go of the clutch the boost has only dropped a few psi and will come back super quick.

I cant see how that caused a HG to blow. Are you sure it wasn't getting ready to blow anyways? Did you log the run with link?

steviek
03-30-2009, 04:19 PM
yea i did it jumps to 10.2 degrees of knock as soon as I disengage andwidebands botoms out at 18.0

steviek
03-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Blown head gaskets suck. I've been there plenty of forgettable times. Sounds like you have an excuse to make it fun though. What intake manifold did you get?

jmf its in my sig

SilvrEclipse
03-30-2009, 05:41 PM
yea i did it jumps to 10.2 degrees of knock as soon as I disengage andwidebands botoms out at 18.0

So you got that much knock when you pushed the clutch in or when it was released? It sounds like you are saying when you pushed it in you started getting knock and then it blew. That doesn't make much sence. The motor shouldn't have much load on it so it shouldn't knock. How much have you increased the timing with the meth?

steviek
03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
So you got that much knock when you pushed the clutch in or when it was released? It sounds like you are saying when you pushed it in you started getting knock and then it blew. That doesn't make much sence. The motor shouldn't have much load on it so it shouldn't knock. How much have you increased the timing with the meth?

I know I agree with you it doesn't make sense and I can't explain it either. I'm kinda devastated right now but its the truth. IT had a little knock less than 2 degrees up until when I shifted (remember this is just testing the nlts function out) then I disengage the clutch (wot) the nlts activates rpm level off but knock shoots up. KNock led flashes I get off the throttle but its too late car is smoking.

steviek
03-30-2009, 06:02 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j294/steviekallday/headgasket.jpg

sigh

SilvrEclipse
03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
So when is this going to get fixed?

Blackcrow64
03-30-2009, 10:09 PM

Sooner than mine!

:licka:

steviek
03-30-2009, 11:58 PM

I should have it done by next week or maybe this week hopefully
its already in motion.

got the cometic head gastket (mls) and doing the IM so should be interesting.

steviek
03-30-2009, 11:59 PM
see that red line that goes down thats the clutch switch thats when the NLTS gets activated.... correspond that with the green KNock line and hmm :S

SilvrEclipse
03-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Thats weird. I looked over the log for a few minutes. It seems your timing dropped and fuel cut out when you pushed the clutch so there should be no way the motor knocked. Guess you wont be trying that anymore. I do it with MS and it works fine. Keeps boost up between shifts so I bet it would help 1/4 times some. Have you posted it on the link forums to see what they say?

steviek
03-31-2009, 01:21 PM
yea I did

i engaged the NLTS about 100rpm too early but that wouldn't have the effect on the knock. The admins seem to think that there was a possible boost/vac/boost extremely quick situation which may have caused it to blow out.

Yea I don't think I'll be using that feature .... unless someone else gives me there car to practice on lol.

TalonEclipseMixGsx
04-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Damn that sucks man but it could have been worse. Im sure you will have your car back on the road before I do. I think I only paid 25 dollars to have the head resurfaced at NAPA when I replaced the head gasket in the talon.

steviek
04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
it'll be back on the road by next week ;)

edit hopefully

Add your comment to this topic!