Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

No overdrive-Only one gear

allegoric
03-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Just bought a 96 Probe GT, 6 cylinder automatic and 107K without much information and immediately noticed a check engine light and it feels like it only has one gear, definitely no overdrive, the light works, but it is running 3000 rpm at 60 mph, any ideas on the most likely thing to check first, i don't have the codes for the check engine light if it's related.:crying:

wafrederick
03-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Get it scanned for codes and check the condition of the fluid first.Transmission shops will not touch this transmission,a real pain in the butt to rebuild.The only option is to find an used transmission.Ford Probes are not good cars anyway,a big POS.

allegoric
03-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Any intelligent feedback on my question, leave the drama aside please.

MickieH
04-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Being a 96 year, your car hould have the 4EAT model 4 speed, electronically controlled auto transaxle. Mazda call it the GF4A-EL if you need parts.

If she's not kicking into top gear, it may be an ECU fault, as the ECU controls the gear changes, but I would suspect the auto box first.

The check engine light on Probes in this country means that the alternator is not charging.

The key symbol when that lights is more to do with the immobiliser, which I gather they didn't fit in other countries??

Hope you get this sorted.
Sorry I don't know too much about the Probe auto boxes as we don't really have them over here, only manauls mainly.

Mick.

Add your comment to this topic!