Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 cavalier radio loc code

lisamariet
03-27-2009, 10:18 AM
okay first my mother and i both have 2000 cavaliers only she has a sports package and i don't. recently her cavalier went bad and she got a brand new car well since my cd player wasn't working and all the black lettering on my stereo was peeling off, i took her cd player. of course i'm the kind of girl that knows almost nothing about cars and i had no clue about the theft system. i have searched here and google for the past week trying to figure out how to unlock the radio. i'm trying to avoid going to dealership but i have tried holding 2&3 for ten seconds, all those steps and it doesn't work. my uncle who is a mechanic told me to look on the top or back of the radio and the code would be on there but all i saw was a bunch of long numbers. is there any wire to cut to get the LOC to go away?? or something else i can do for my cavalier??

and to let you know my stereo looks like this http://www.carstereoremoval.com/images/ChevroletCavalierStr0731070101xP.jpg

help would be great!! i'm going insane. it's 65 degrees in annapolis and i have no radio!! :-(

Classicrocjunkie
03-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Yup, dealership. That is the only way around it. They have to plug the tech II into your OBDII port.

manicmechanix
03-27-2009, 04:34 PM
The owner's manual should have instructs on unlocking the radio. A 2000 radio in a Cavalier shouldn't serial 2 and shouldn't need reprogramming, just unlocked. But if it is an RDS radio or serial 2, t will need to be reprogrammed. I found this procedure. Try it and see if this works:

Procedure:

01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds

03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.

04. Press the AM/FM button

05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.

06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05

07. Call 1 800 537 5140

08. Listen for, "all others, enter your authorization code"

09. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star)

10. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice

11. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

12. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 10

13. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC Your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 10 instead of your personal code.

Add your comment to this topic!