Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

87 El camino no spark problem

Suchalif77
03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
I have an 87 El Camino with a stock 305 that I just bought.I have bought a new battery,fuel pump,distributor,computer,and carefully rebuilt the rochester carb.It will crank but won't start.I have set the points from #1 on the dist.There is no spark from the dist. to the plugs.What am I missing?Everything seems to be in order,but still no spark.The coil is fine.:screwy:

cherryelky305
03-27-2009, 12:11 AM
have you checked voltages that feed the distributor? maybe theres a bad wire some where, also look around really good for all your grounds.

This site might be of some use for your. its wiring for G/bodies, I think it will work for you.

http://www.maliburacing.com/wiring.html

Should be under V8 ignition system. Good luck.

rhandwor
03-27-2009, 08:15 PM
A bad condenser will cause a no spark condition. I put in a new set of points that had set around a long time I had to use contact cleaner and clean them.

Suchalif77
03-29-2009, 04:39 PM
There is power going to the distributor.I've checked grounds.Still no spark.There is no condenser on my distributor.I have the newer hei distributor.Could it be a electronic spark control module?

rhandwor
03-29-2009, 05:32 PM
You should have 12volt power coming from the ignition switch if I remember correctly. When you said you set your points I was thinking an older car.
The power should be a large red wire. Maybe purple on ignition switch.
Advance and Auto Zone will check the modules free.

ctwright
03-29-2009, 06:08 PM
If your distributor has points you don't need an icm b/c that is how your coil get's it's ground pulses. You should have 12 volts to the positive side of the coil with the ignition in the on postition. The points are breaker points in the ground which pulse the ground to the negative side of the ignition coil.

Other vehicles that don't use points use crank sensors and an ignition module to get ground pulses to the coil.

Suchalif77
04-06-2009, 05:28 PM
I finally tracked it down.I had two ignition coils.When I did regular resistance tests they both checked out fine.There still was no spark so I went ahead and bought a new one.There was spark!Thank you to everyone that replied!

Add your comment to this topic!