Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Beetle Driver's Window Regulator Cable

threebanger
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Hello All,

I usually post over in the Olds section but am trying to help out a friend. The driver's window regulator cable broke. Dealer has plenty but refuses to hand over install instructions and is trying to sell the entire assembly instead. Question: Does anybody have a procedure or instructions for installing a cable kit for this car? The motor/regulator portion works fine; it's just the cable that's broken. I understand there's a trick to getting the cable tensioning set right so I'm looking for some help.

Thanks in advance.....

herbett
06-11-2009, 11:58 PM
hello,
I'm new to this forum. I just inherited a 98 new beetle 5speed 2.0. its very fun to drive but the a/c is out which is a bummer. but so is my driver side window cable. this really sucks on hot days here in soCAL. I am good at tearing things apart and fixing them but this seems like a daunting task and any help would be much appreciated. if I happen to figure it out on my own I will post step by step instructions. thank you.

mitch_houser
07-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Hey don't fret its not hard you need to buy a what they call a super cable something anyway it will come with new plastic pulleys and new cable .you'll want to get some good duct tape take side panel off then you can take a metal panel off gives you good access but you will have to pull the window up and tape it to the window frame after you take the power lock connection( and dont forget to put it back when your done.then its just a matter of looking how the old one cam off then put the new one on its kinda tricky but with time you can do it

Add your comment to this topic!