Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Data Link Connector information

tacomabobd
03-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Can anyone tell me what information I can get through the Data Link Connector? I have a 96 Ford Windstar. I have a door ajar light that comes and goes all by itself. I want to find out which door or possibly relay that is causing my problem. If it is possible, what software and hardware is available for my laptop?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

wiswind
03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
The data link connector....located below the steering wheel is for connecting the diagnostic equipment......like a OBDII code reader.
The OBDII code reader and the laptop/computer software kits will NOT read out what door is causing the door ajar light to come on.
It WILL read the codes that cause the Check Engine Light (CEL) to come on and you can also read some other data, like coolant temperature (as seen by the PCM), throttle postition sensor, input air temperature, etc.

If your CEL come on.....you can get the code(s) read for free at many auto part stores.
HOWEVER, make sure to get the actual numeric code...... not just a description.
With the actual code....you can research common causes of the code for your particular vehicle on this, and other sites.

northern piper
03-27-2009, 07:25 AM
I'd buy this if I were you. http://www.autoenginuity.com/
they sell a Ford module that provides even more info. That'd be what I'd do.

-p

tacomabobd
03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
I'd buy this if I were you. http://www.autoenginuity.com/
they sell a Ford module that provides even more info. That'd be what I'd do.

-p

Thanks northern. That will do what I want and a lot more. Unfortunately it would cost $400.00. If I can't find anything cheaper, I might have to swallow real hard.

Thanks again,
Bob

northern piper
03-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi Bob

I think you will be able to find something cheaper. I did. Now I regret buying this one http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/equus/Equuis_OBD_II_code_reader.shtml

It cost me ~$250 although now they're a bit cheaper. I wish I'd saved up a bit more and got the one I linked to above. Cost more, do more..

Oh well.

Maybe you can learn from my mistakes?!

-P

tacomabobd
03-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Northern,

It looks like its just a code reader. I bought one at schucks for about $80 from the same manufacturer. If I find one, I will post it.

Bob

bulrid8
03-30-2009, 05:30 AM
This is the one that I use, http://www.obd2.com/palm/palm.htm

I have the palm version, but you can get it for a laptop too. It will read all your codes and run every test that the Ford scanner does. I have used this on every Ford vehicle I have owned in the last 7 years. It also works with Toyota's and GM vehicles.

I paid about $300 for mine, plus the palm pilot. I use a Palm 125, which you can find on ebay for $20-30.

As far as your door light. First check that the rear hatch is closed all the way. Also check the sliders. Sometimes these doors don't like to close all the way. If it is still on. Take WD40 and spray all you door latches. The sensors are built into the latch mechanism and they are a known problem in all Ford vehicles. The WD40 will clean the sensor up.

tacomabobd
01-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Does the palm read all the codes or just the P codes? I finally found my problem. I found where the GEM was located, it was just behind the two panels under the steering column. With the drivers door open I closed the door latch. Luckily it was the lower connector which was easier to get to. I located the appropriate pins that went to each of the door switches. I did a resistance test on each of the pins with the door open and closed. The passenger door was the culprit. I had to remove the door latching mechanism to get to the switch. The switch is a part of the door latch and can be removed by gently lifting its retainer latch and rotating the switch toward the retainer. Be very careful the retainer breaks very easily. Once I replaced the switch, my door ajar problem went away.

bigryry
01-14-2010, 06:26 AM
I have an 01 that was having the same problem, it was the rear hatch sensors. For my van it was pretty easy and there are two sensors. Not sure which one was bad but i replaced them both.

tacomabobd
06-23-2012, 07:31 PM
northern, I bought the autoenginuity software. It looks fantastic. I have not had a chance to really use it but it will read ALL sensors, all P,B,C,U codes. I will post again when I get a good feel of it.

Bob

northern piper
06-23-2012, 07:47 PM
hey that's great Bob!

I'll be really interested to hear what you think. I'm still using the one I had earlier tho would really like the autoenginuity one.

I look forward to your review!

tacomabobd
12-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Northern,

I finally tested it. I got the Ford package on EBAY for $250.00. I had to upgrade it for $50.00. Now it works wonders. You can set up and view several sensors at a time. You can see the data from ALL of the sensors. This is great. Now I will have to buy the software for a Dodge. We just purchased a 2010 van.

northern piper
12-09-2012, 08:55 AM
that's great news Bob..I'm glad you like it. I'm still using the one I mentioned earlier. Touch wood, I've not had to get further diagnostic info so far. I had been looking at a chassis ear (4 wireless/wired mics allowing one to "hear" problems whilst driving) when I was trying to diagnose a front wheel bearing problem. It ended up being the hub cap after a lot of head scratching...:runaround:

but, when I need to pull the trigger, it's gonna be on the AE unit you bought.

Add your comment to this topic!