Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just beginning need info

wnt2gofst
03-26-2009, 09:40 AM
i own a 95 neon sohc with 113k miles. Goal is to get more hp little at a time with reasonable amounts of money. i am bout to do a tune-up and i want to know what i can do tune-up related to achieve my goal. What r the best plugs, wires, and coil? And should i also get an ignition? What else? pleez i need info.

Bear
03-26-2009, 06:47 PM
First is this car auto or manual transmission? Then you could try a cold air induction system like an ICEMAN (maybe out there on Ebay or at Howell engineering) good for MAYBE 3-5 HP. Underdrive pulley will free up MAYBE 2-3 HP and a performance computer (MOPAR or AF/X, avoid JET) will give you 10-12 HP. The computers will also raise the rev limiter and speed limiter. these are starting points and remeber HP does not come cheap. Take a look at both MODERN Performance and Howell websites to get an idea of what is avialiable.

das2123
03-27-2009, 06:48 AM
Stock copper champion plugs work best in the neon. Don't waste your money on split fire or platinum plugs. Magnecor and MSD wires are both nice replacements for the spark plug wires. But keep in mindm that plugs and wires don't give you added HP. Don't waste money on an ignition system unless you are ready to start plumping down some money and tuning the car.

As an alternative to the Iceman intake (best for the 95-99 neons) you can build your own 3.0L intake. If you have a manual transmission, then you have a 49mm throttle body(TB) on there. The automatic TB is 52mm wide. This allows your engine to breathe a little bit more.

wnt2gofst
03-27-2009, 06:20 PM
the car is automatic. and i do wanna start tuning it. i will start with those three things. is it worth trying to find a 3.0 out of a stratus? and is it pretty much bolt in? Or should i start lookin for a DOHC? Which would be the cheapest and easiest? Is it also just bolt in?

Bear
03-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Not sure what you mean by looking for a DOHC, if you mean the intake, it is as restrictive as the SOHC, and the 3.0 liter intake will take some cutting. I built my own CAI by using 2" PVC (painted it)and plumbing fittings to take the tubing off of the TB, then across in front of the battery (I did pull the battery tray and slot the hold down bolt holes so I could slide the tray back toward the firewall a bit and allow me to the run the tubing down and in back of the grill (wanted to get the filter out of the engine compartment heat), I used a K&N Cone filter and put a K&N crankcase filter on the tube on the valve cover where the clean air tube came off to go to the intake assembly. Do not know how much HP I am really getting but it sounds Gnarly at WOT acceleration.

wnt2gofst
03-27-2009, 07:17 PM
sorry i mean DOHC engine as to the SOHC engine. And 3.0 liter out of a stratus.

Bear
03-27-2009, 08:42 PM
OK, I understand. I have a DOHC and yes it makes more horsepower stock, but, that 150 HP requires the use of premium fuel (something the sales folk do not tell you). The DOHC is a bit quicker, 0-60, but again unless it is a ACR or R/t the speed is limited to 118 MPH. I have the MOPAR performance PCM (again premium fuel) a Modern Performance UDP, the home made CAI, and a B&M short shifter. Since my car has the dual fan radiator, I had to move the battery box back a bit to accomodate the CAI (no big deal). Still she runs quick and at 70-75 MPH she will still give me 38-40 MPG.

wnt2gofst
03-27-2009, 08:45 PM
i am just tryin to find out if an engine swap would be a good starting point. is it worth the time and money? should i just stick with what i got, and start from there? My engine is a 95 SOHC 2.0 with 113k miles. What kinda hp will you get from header and full exhaust? sorry lots of questions very interested. What r the easiest engine swaps? degree of difficulty compared to results i.e. hp gain?

das2123
03-27-2009, 10:20 PM
First you need to figure out what your goal is. What do you want to do with it? Do you want to stay N/A or go Forced Induction.

The DOHC engine was over rated from the factory, so the 150 HP wasn't actually true. The dyno results I have seen on stock SOHC and DOHC engine was about a 5-8 HP difference. But the DOHC is quicker at the track where it counts.

wnt2gofst
03-28-2009, 09:06 AM
well N/A is the cheaper route for now. But eventually i would like to go turbo. I figure i would try to get the most out of what i got, before goin to FI. What is the average price of an engine with lower miles? DOHC or SOHC? Is the DOHC bolt in?

das2123
03-29-2009, 05:19 PM
If you plan to go FI then just wait. No need to spend the extra money now. Spend the money on parts you will need for the FI route or just save up the money.

The DOHC bolts right in, but you will need some other stuff to go along with it such as: DOHC PCM, DOHC intake and exhaust manifold, DOHC wiring harness and so on.

wnt2gofst
03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
thanx for all the info!! i just need to get started. Going to look for DOHC. I got the hood already. Besides DOHC PCM, intake, exhaust manifold, and harnesses what else will be needed? Best places to find DOHC engine? Can you find brand new? how much if so? If i do get the Mopar performance PCM and stick with the SOHC do i still need to run premium gas? Again thanx for your time and the info.

das2123
03-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Used Parts you can get are: (from a DOHC of course)
*Head with cams and valvetrain
*Intake manifold
*Exhaust manifold (or DOHC header)
*Intake assembly (why not go with an Iceman or 3.0L intake?)
*EGR valve tube
*Pistons (you can use SOHC pistons, but you will lose compression)
*Fuel rail and injectors
*Passenger side motor mount bracket
*Valve cover
*Cam gears
*PCM for your year of car, 95, 96, or 97-99 (why not get a Mopar PCM?)
*Power bulge hood or cut the bracing out of your current SOHC hood.
*You can opt for the dual radiator fans, but I don't think you need them even if you have A/C

New parts you should get will be:
*DOHC Headgasket kit
*Timing belt/timing belt covers (if you want them)
*Timing belt idler pulley
*Plastic thermostat housing
*Upper radiator hose
*Camshaft position sensor
*Spark plug wires
*Head bolts
*New gaskets where you will need them.
*I'd also suggest changing the water pump while you are at it, along with the new timing belt and tensioner pulley

You will also need to extend the 3 CTS (coolant temp sensor) wires so that they reach it's new location.

I doubt you can find a new one. You may be able to find a rebuilt one. Price....depends on where you are buying from.

If you have a Mopar PCM, you should run premium gas all the time.

wnt2gofst
04-03-2009, 02:43 AM
i was wondering about the ice man CAI, do they make it for a 95 SOHC neon?

das2123
04-03-2009, 07:35 AM
i was wondering about the ice man CAI, do they make it for a 95 SOHC neon?It isn't being made anymore. You can find a used one on forums or on ebay often. It fits 95-99 neons.

wnt2gofst
04-09-2009, 03:00 AM
Could not find Iceman Intake. Lots of others on neons though. Which ones should i stay away from? what is the next best? What others would you recommend?

1997-Dodge-Neon
04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
What if you use a 60mm Throttle Body?

das2123
04-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Next best is the 3.0L intake. No one makes an intake that puts the filter in the front of the car. They all rest over the exhaust manifold(HEAT).

What do you mean, what if you use a 60mm TB?

1997-Dodge-Neon
04-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Thank You. Someone thinks like I do. Great minds think alike...

wnt2gofst
04-09-2009, 09:03 PM
3.0L intake off of what? What kinda work is involved and where do i get one? thanks again for the info.

das2123
04-11-2009, 04:25 PM
3.0L intake off of what? What kinda work is involved and where do i get one? thanks again for the info.
On any 80's Dodge 3.0L engine. You take the intake tube off of it and use it. Depending on what type of radiator fans you have, you may have to cut the tube and use some exhaust pipe to extend the tube. You will also have to cut/modify your battery tray to allow the pipe to pass through. Below is what you would need to look for in the junkyard.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/das2123/97%20SOHC%20Parts/th_3LIntaketube.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e66/das2123/97%20SOHC%20Parts/?action=view&current=3LIntaketube.jpg)

wnt2gofst
04-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanx for the pic and the info. i'll start hunting.

Add your comment to this topic!