Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Steering Issues w/ Avalon

vesnyder
03-28-2003, 02:48 AM
My '96 Avalon has developed a problem with the steering that has been getting worse. When I turn the steering wheel all the way to one side or the other I hear this grinding noise. I have been told it is either the steering rack or power steering pump - they are guessing? I had a previous problem (that has since disappeared?) that the steering would randomly get very hard to turn - almost like it was manual steering.

Anybody out there experienced similar problems? Has anybody replaced the steering rack - appears pretty straight forward?

Thanks for your help!

IronLion
06-13-2003, 11:45 AM
I have a problem with my steering rack also. It leaks and I am going to replace it also.

vesnyder
06-13-2003, 02:02 PM
IronLion - Let me know if this solved the problem and what it costs you. I had a shop look at my steering and he said nothing was wrong? I think it is just a matter of time.

kro$s
06-16-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by vesnyder
IronLion - Let me know if this solved the problem and what it costs you. I had a shop look at my steering and he said nothing was wrong? I think it is just a matter of time.

Get your PS fluid flushed, and then if it still does it have the rack checked and a Toyota dealership. I had the same problem and had to replace the rack, hopefully you wont have to go thru the same.

vesnyder
06-17-2003, 12:12 PM
kro$s - What did the rack replacement cost you?

IloveSupras
06-25-2003, 10:40 PM
My dad gave me his 95 Avalon back in August of 02. The thing is my dad doesn't know didly squat about cars in general and has put in 4 grand in this P.O.S. before he had given it to me. The car now has 117,000 miles on it and it's now starting to make this really emabarassing noise whenever I turn and accelerate. I got a $130.00 tune up about a month ago and it was making a noise that went with the accelation but now it started making this grinding noise when I turn and accelerate about a week ago.
Are these cars lemons after 100K or just mine?

cactx
10-16-2003, 06:12 AM
I know 2 different people who have had to change out their steering racks on their '96 and '97 Avalons. I have also spoken with a very good Toyota Mechanic who told me that the steering rack is the ONLY american made part on the vehicle. Apparently Toyota borrowed the part from a domestic automobile.

In saying that, I was also told to expect to have to change it out at some point.

Most repair shops are aware of the problem and will go looking for it first thing when you take your car in. A small leak is ok, just CONSTANTLY check your power steering fluid for a drop in volume. If you notice a large drop, you should probably change it out to avoid ruining the power steering pump.

On a positive note, one of my friends was able to get reimbursement from Toyota since it is a well known flaw on those model years. I guess it just depends on how ugly you want to get with Toyota. They will work with you if you are a loyal toyota customer.

I hope this helps.

92supra1jz
03-29-2004, 10:58 PM
The racks on Avalons and Camrys are the same and known to fail according to the company I bought a rebuilt rack from..
My car had 96k and and the rack started leaking.

At 85k the PS pump develped a leak and I put in a seal kit for $35 which lasted to 104k. Now the pump is leaking again and I'm going to buy one from Toyota.

Replacing the rack is not easy. You have to unbolt the sway bar to get to the bolts from behind because they use nut locks on the front. And they corrode up.

Then once you get the bolts out and the lines disconnected the fun begins to pull it out without hanging it on the O2 sensor. Toyota adds to the insanity by using 2 high pressure lines which cost $250 if you want to replace them both.

I think Toyota realized the reputation for dependability had cost them money in parts and service so they started building in failures.

Still beats giving the local dealer $800-900 though.

My 89 Maxima has 220k miles and the PS pump just went out. It's front wheel drive, same size tires as the Avalon yet steers effortlessly adn rides a lot better.

WarrenB
11-16-2004, 02:48 PM
The racks on Avalons and Camrys are the same and known to fail according to the company I bought a rebuilt rack from..

Recently my wife's Avalon steering rack started leaking badly at 93,000 miles. Cost about $900 for dealer replacement with a re-built.

W.

ruoknow
11-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Recently my wife's Avalon steering rack started leaking badly at 93,000 miles. Cost about $900 for dealer replacement with a re-built.

W.

Hey, i got a 96' avalon with 83000 miles on it.

There is a power steering fluid leaking developped recently.

I guess i got the same problem as what you have!

Nintey-Six
01-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Try any automotive store for a PS seal type fliud. It will be an inexpensive cost to see if that will help your leakage. I had the same thing happen in my 96 and put that seal stuff in it and the level hasn't changed in a week. I will keep monitoring it. It seemed to really start losing fluid when the temp outside dropped. Maybe the fluid can leak out when the hoses condense ?

higginss
01-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Had to have the rack replaced in my 95 avalon becuase it was losing a lot of fluid. Took it to the shop and they said the end seals were about blown out of it. Paid over $700 to have the rack replaced. The steering still feels like it is manual sometimes. Always at the worst possible moment. Usually after a quick stop and then turn the corner. Can;t seem to get it around the corner. Happens more when the car is cold.

NicB.
01-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Looks like this started happening to me just a couple days ago. If you sit at a stop and turn the wheel with the car on, you can hear it. Same is true as you start accelerate. There is no way I am paying $1000 to get the part replaced on a $6000 car. If this part is a known service flaw, why was there no recall issued?

NicB.

iresp
03-31-2005, 09:03 PM
In January I had the high pressure hose replaced on my 96 Avalon, with 159,000 miles. It had developed a slow leak over the previous 2 years that only required me to periodically top it off. The mechanic said that the hose was causing the leak. He flushed the system and replaced only the hose. After 900 miles, my daughter had the steering lock up on her and it appears that all of the fluid leaked out. Does anyone have any idea as to what might have happened. I still haven't looked at the car as my daughter has it at school.

MJ from MD
05-02-2005, 11:35 AM
I know this thread may be old, but I have a leaking rack on my '96 that has to be dealt with. It has about 98K miles on it.

I can get the rack myself for $290, (then $75 back on the core) but Toyota wants $335 for the part and $650 for the total job. I looked underneath and it is a tight fit, but it sounds like you have experience. I noticed your comment about the o2 sensor. Could you offer any other pointers or step-by-step for a fellow DIY? Thanks!

marksjoy58@hotmail.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

At 85k the PS pump develped a leak and I put in a seal kit for $35 which lasted to 104k. Now the pump is leaking again and I'm going to buy one from Toyota.

Replacing the rack is not easy. You have to unbolt the sway bar to get to the bolts from behind because they use nut locks on the front. And they corrode up.

Then once you get the bolts out and the lines disconnected the fun begins to pull it out without hanging it on the O2 sensor. Toyota adds to the insanity by using 2 high pressure lines which cost $250 if you want to replace them both.

I think Toyota realized the reputation for dependability had cost them money in parts and service so they started building in failures.

Still beats giving the local dealer $800-900 though.

My 89 Maxima has 220k miles and the PS pump just went out. It's front wheel drive, same size tires as the Avalon yet steers effortlessly adn rides a lot better.[/QUOTE]

ecarlson
08-01-2005, 07:23 PM
My 97 Avalon had a power steering unit leak a couple years ago, which was worse in the winter, taking a quart or two a month on the coldest months. I already had an estimate from a local, trusted shop to replace the power stearing unit for around $650.

On a whim I decided to try "Valvoline Max Life high-mileage Dexron III Mercon ATF" in it, so I bought 2 quarts, and in 2 years, I still haven't used up the second quart in my power steering unit (even through winter).

I was expecting it to take a while to start working, if it worked at all, but when I first got it, I put in about a cup or two, just to top it off, and it was a lot longer than I had been used to before I had to add any more, and now that I've put in almost 2 quarts, I almost never have to add any.

I never had any stearing problems, though it did moan when the fluid got low.

If the leak ever does get bad again, I'll get the stearing unit replaced.

Add your comment to this topic!