Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need repair advise, please

ukrkoz
03-24-2009, 01:05 PM
OK, we happen to have 95 Eclipse with what they call Secondary Air Valve, also known as pulsating air injection solenoid, or air pump. it is Dodge's implant into Mitsubishis, for short time, as it was so much trouble they discontinued it right away.
It is a black valve with solenoid and diaphragm, connecting exhaust and air filter box, just below the filter box. purpose was to pulse extra air into exhaust, to provide final fuel afterburn.
anyhow, it is shot. as a result, we have CEL up, and bad readings of O2 sensor. sensor replaced saturday.
I cleaned this valve yesterday, it was full of water and gunk. same time I found that diaphragm is all kinked. those valves are known to freeze winter time, damaging diaphragm and blowing the solenoid fuse.
as a result, I was told that car will not pass emissions like this.
DAMN PIECE OF PLASTIC IS $372 PRE-TAX.

I need good repair suggestion, or how to fool ECM into not throwing the error code. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Blackcrow64
03-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Could try to find a cheap used ECU from one that did not have the secondary air valve. Then it wouldn't be throwing the CEL because it never needed that valve to function properly... :2cents:

ukrkoz
03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Could try to find a cheap used ECU from one that did not have the secondary air valve. Then it wouldn't be throwing the CEL because it never needed that valve to function properly... :2cents:

that is, actually, a good idea. I doubt I'll find it for less than that solenoid worth, though. We had to replace ECM on my son's 94 eclipse, and it was $1200 pre tax new. at that cost, even junkyards won't sell it cheap.
I'll start with looking for solenoid. junk yards. might be a problem, as dealership pulled those on the screen and told me that there are only FORTY of those eclipses in the country. it was some dumm ass Dodge experiment....:runaround::runaround::screwy:

Blackcrow64
03-25-2009, 03:35 AM
that is, actually, a good idea. I doubt I'll find it for less than that solenoid worth, though. We had to replace ECM on my son's 94 eclipse, and it was $1200 pre tax new. at that cost, even junkyards won't sell it cheap.
I'll start with looking for solenoid. junk yards. might be a problem, as dealership pulled those on the screen and told me that there are only FORTY of those eclipses in the country. it was some dumm ass Dodge experiment....:runaround::runaround::screwy:

You should be able to pick up an ECU for much much cheaper than that. Any 95 or 96 ECU of the same model (I'm assuming 420a motor? RS and GS) should work for you and not have that dumb solenoid setup. (It looks like there may be some differences in the 97-99 ones)

If you do the whole ebay thing, there are two on there specifically from 95's for a lot less. One is $76 and the other is $99 with the buy it now options... Or you could check with some junkyards and possibly find it cheaper. Just a thought though... Hopefully you can find a cheaper solution than buying a new solenoid for it!

ukrkoz
03-25-2009, 10:22 AM
You should be able to pick up an ECU for much much cheaper than that. Any 95 or 96 ECU of the same model (I'm assuming 420a motor? RS and GS) should work for you and not have that dumb solenoid setup. (It looks like there may be some differences in the 97-99 ones)

If you do the whole ebay thing, there are two on there specifically from 95's for a lot less. One is $76 and the other is $99 with the buy it now options... Or you could check with some junkyards and possibly find it cheaper. Just a thought though... Hopefully you can find a cheaper solution than buying a new solenoid for it!

yes, it is GS, 2.0, straight four banger. it's a toad, but it starts and goes, and he's student now.

Black, most appreciate your help. 100 bucks for ECM is a much better solution indeed. I'll look into it tonight. Most greatful.
Good gods, we had 4 Mitubishes so far, and all of them fine vehicles indeed. Except 2 things: razor sharp edges on sheetwork and lord save you from being forced to buy something from dealer. I think them and lexus are in competition on who will make it more complicated and expensive on parts. HONDAS, HONDAS, AND HONDAS.

steviek
03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
if this is all to get rid of the cel just to pass e test why don't you clear it right before the test and not give a chance to comeback on before the test is done? not many people around here care about the light being on im surprised they are so concerned with it where you live.

ukrkoz
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
if this is all to get rid of the cel just to pass e test why don't you clear it right before the test and not give a chance to comeback on before the test is done? not many people around here care about the light being on im surprised they are so concerned with it where you live.

it is not that easy.
1. CEL does not go away even after several attempts to clear it with battery disconnection.
2. they stick code reader into the OBD port here. thus, as it throws emission codes, it'll not pass. this particular car is odd - it has something that LOOKS LIKE OBDII port, yet it is not, but I am not guaranteed that emission people here don't have adaptor for it.

it is not ridding of the light - I can pull the bulb out. It is ridding of the codes.

Blackcrow64
03-25-2009, 04:44 PM
it is not ridding of the light - I can pull the bulb out. It is ridding of the codes.

Yeah, I believe that replacing the ECU with a non solenoid one will eliminate any chances of the code appearing for you during inspection. Hopefully... Good luck with it. Lemme know if ya need help finding anything else. :thumbsup:

ukrkoz
03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks, BC.

I have contacted 3 sellers on ebay. I have to have one that was tuned for eclipses that were built after june 1995, that's when they stopped doing that solenoid.

NateS
03-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Wow, can't believe they won't let you pass because of the CEL. Most garages around here will let me slide on just about everything. The one time I was even running an open downpipe.

ukrkoz
03-29-2009, 02:20 PM
I got it fixed.:p As usual, it was combination of silly little things. Good I did not buy any ECUs, he-he.:evillol::2cents:
Anyways, yesterday, I was replacing valve cover gasket, a notorious leaker on Mitsubishes.:crying:
Same time, cleaned EGR (full of crap, as usual, even at just 70K miles).
While I was on it, I pulled that secondary air valve out again. Basically, it has a solenoid operated diaphragm that opens by solenoid and lets some air back into exhaust in pulsating manner, that's why it is also called PAIR valve - pulsating air injection recirculation.
You can see diaphragm edge through the pipe that goes towards the air filter box. I, simply, pried its edge up and dropped a screw into the hole, to jam the diaphragm slightly open.:naughty: When we started the engine, and I placed my hand on the hose running from valve to exhaust, I could feel definite pulsation in it, telling me that we have air stream.:biggrin:
CEL stayed.:eek7:
Well, I was checking on possible oil leaks around the cover gasket today - and, to my surprise, found that O2 sensor plug disconnected itself from the harness. :shakehead:shakeheadClip that was supposed to secure it in place was already missing. Now, it is all securely tight together with g'ol duct tape.:naughty:
CEL IS GONE.:smokin:

Blackcrow64
03-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Awesome! Great news to hear man. :thumbsup: So much better than spending any money on anything at all. lol

david-b
03-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Very nice. Duct Tape is the winner. I have a couple connections being held together with zip-ties because those little plastic clips always break by me man-handling it.

And every emissions place will automatically fail you if the CEL is on... no matter what it's for.

Add your comment to this topic!