Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whats the best way to install side skirts?

Sonic Eclipse
03-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Its been awhile guys, there just hasn't been a lot going on lately.

Anyway, I'm looking to install a pair of stock side skirts on the Talon this weekend, the problem is I don't know whats the best way of do it. I've searched on all kinds of DSM forums, and I can't seem to find a definite answer.

One method some use is 3M Double Sided tape that you can buy at Home Depot. But the thing is the back of side skirts don't exactly go up against the body of the car, only the edge does which is the spot that goes into the groove that runs on the bottom of the car. So how are they sticking these on? How reliable can the tape really be when driving around?

Some also say to drill holes into the bottom of the car with skirts lined up, and use screws to hold them up. IMO this would be the safest and easiest way to do it, but I'm concerned about one thing. RUST! What are the possibilities of the holes with the screws rusting out?

What do you guys think is the best way to install side skirts? I'm open to ideas, I just don't want these things falling off.

Blackcrow64
03-25-2009, 09:24 PM
They actually have push clips you can get from most automotive places for this. My friend had gotten all brand new ones from the dealership for his Eclipse when he put new ones on. I can't remember what he paid but it wasn't all that bad IIRC... I donno if I would trust double sided tape or not...

Black99GST
03-25-2009, 10:28 PM
:1: for clips, :1: against double sided tape... lol

SilvrEclipse
03-26-2009, 07:22 AM
That double sided tape is great stuff. It would hold them on no problem. However you can try to drill some holes but they will have to be perfect. I would just put a little paint on the inside of the hole where the exposed metal is and you shouldn't have any issues with rust.

Sonic Eclipse
04-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Got the skirts on.

This pic was taken while I was walking out of the mall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Sega-Man/Image085.jpg

SilvrEclipse
04-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Looks good. How did you end up attaching them? Where are the door pieces? It doensn't look like they are on.

Sonic Eclipse
04-06-2009, 09:17 AM
I pulled the side skirts off a 2Gb Eclipse Spyder in a junk yard and it only had one door skirt, the one it did have was too messed up for me to do anything with so I left it behind. I might get a pair of the door skirts in the future, but I kinda like the way the car looks without them.

I decided the best way to put these was drill holes into the car and use rivets from the auto parts store to hold them, needless to say it worked out great. Took a few hours though.

SilvrEclipse
04-06-2009, 09:31 AM
How did you rivet the skirts on? Im guessing you used rivets under the car maybe? I dont see any on the outside of the car.

Sonic Eclipse
04-06-2009, 10:51 AM
How did you rivet the skirts on? Im guessing you used rivets under the car maybe? I dont see any on the outside of the car.
Under the car and the side of the car, I used the rivet inserts on the inside of the skirts for the new rivets.

I did try that 3M Double sided tape for the side of the car, but the tape wouldn't stick to the skirt, it didn't make any sense because it would stick to the car but not the skirt. I even tried clean the inside of the skirt with rubbing alcohol, still didn't work. Even sanded the inside the inside of the skirt and it still wouldn't stick. So I had to rivet the sides too.

Add your comment to this topic!