348 w

shadytree101
03-23-2009, 11:58 PM
I have a big block 348 sitting out back and I want to know how rare it is and its worth. As the name I chose shows I dont know much I would like some information about this motor. The only thing I could get from searches was that it came out of a 59-61 chevy and its from what i understood the first big block chevy made to compensate for some peoples egos. Also, does the fact that it has W shaped heads make it more rare or did they all come like that?

MT-2500
03-24-2009, 07:58 AM
I have a big block 348 sitting out back and I want to know how rare it is and its worth. As the name I chose shows I dont know much I would like some information about this motor. The only thing I could get from searches was that it came out of a 59-61 chevy and its from what i understood the first big block chevy made to compensate for some peoples egos. Also, does the fact that it has W shaped heads make it more rare or did they all come like that?

One of the old goodies.
I had one in a 59 chev with 3 duces.
But A good 327 would run circles around it.
Check with some engine rebuilders or old car people/clubs/old car parts.

wafrederick
03-26-2009, 10:28 AM
The 348 was replaced by the 409 mid year 1961.Check on Ebay also for how much they go for.

MrPbody
03-26-2009, 01:43 PM
348 is known as "Mark I". It was the first attempt at a "big block" from Chevy. In some ways, it resembles a combination of the Pontiac and the small block, the less desirable points of each... It was not a great performer, and was problem-plagued from the beginning. The valve train can give problems, the oiling system is inadequate and it isn't THAT powerful. And yes, ALL the heads were that wierd look.

409 was known as "Mark II". It didn't "replace" 348 as they "overlapped" a couple of years, but it was a much more powerful version of the same design with a few minor changes (aside from bore and stroke). Unfortunately for Chevy, it wasn't any more reliable than 348, and was dropped as soon as a viable alternative was ready. Though there's a big "mystique" surrounding the performance, Dyno Don only won one race in '62 driving the 409 Impala. None in '63... In truth, 409 never met expectations for performance.

The 427 "Mystery" engine was known as "Mark III", and was introduced at Daytona in February of '63. The block was a modified version of 409 (with the chambers in the head where they belong) with many of the features the later production big blocks would have (canted valves among the most noteworthy). NASCAR told them to take it home and never bring it back (was precluded by rule as late as 1980 in NASCAR rule books) because it was never offered in a production car. It WAS powerful!

For '65, "Mark IV" was introduced as 396. This is the "big block Chevy" we all know and either love or hate (those that hate it only hate it because they don't OWN one...). 427 was debuted in '66, 454 in '70. GREAT engine. Perhaps the best "all around" automotive power plant ever made by anyone. Of course that point is debatable, and any of you that know me, may find it a bit strange that I would say such a thing. I STILL think the Pontiac is a better street-performance engine...(:-

FWIW

Jim

wafrederick
03-26-2009, 05:21 PM
My father has a 1962 Impala with the 409 and has power,409 HP with two 4 barrels.He has done burnouts with it.There was a drawback with the 454s,ate up camshafts and my father's friend Tim's 1972 El Camino did this twice.

shadytree101
03-26-2009, 05:38 PM
So, basically all of you are saying there is no point in keeping it and I should just try to find someone that needs this motor for a restoration?

wafrederick
03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Try selling advertising it in Hemmings.A complete 409 goes for $10,000.00 and more

MrPbody
03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
wafredrick,

The problem with the camshafts had nothing to do with "454" per se, it was the cams, not the engine itself.

$10K for a 409? I doubt it unless it's a documented '60s race engine, "ready to run" and ALL authentic antique performance parts. 409 was installed in trucks in Australia at least as late as '89. They aren't nearly as rare as you might think. I was told by a customer his distributor was worth $1,000. The next day, I had an Australian website up where he could buy them NEW all day for $150. Ruined his whole week... That was two years ago. I'm sure they're still "out there".

Don't get offended. This is a good example of how E-Bay and BJ have distorted the "classic car" market. A "one-off" MAY be very valuable. The "run of the mill" are not.

Shady,

Yup.

Jim

maxwedge
03-27-2009, 01:24 PM
wafredrick,

The problem with the camshafts had nothing to do with "454" per se, it was the cams, not the engine itself.

$10K for a 409? I doubt it unless it's a documented '60s race engine, "ready to run" and ALL authentic antique performance parts. 409 was installed in trucks in Australia at least as late as '89. They aren't nearly as rare as you might think. I was told by a customer his distributor was worth $1,000. The next day, I had an Australian website up where he could buy them NEW all day for $150. Ruined his whole week... That was two years ago. I'm sure they're still "out there".

Don't get offended. This is a good example of how E-Bay and BJ have distorted the "classic car" market. A "one-off" MAY be very valuable. The "run of the mill" are not.

Shady,

Yup.

Jim

Jim, agreed on all points, there is a guy in my town sitting on what he claims is a new in the crate 409/409 engine. He has been unable to get the 6k he wants. I had a 348/350 tri power 61 Imapala that I swear was only maginally faster than my 2003 Lesabre. LOL

junglemaster
03-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Ah I love a big engine
http://photosnag.com/img/2269/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

wafrederick
03-29-2009, 06:26 PM
It is true,a 409 went for $10,000.00 on ebay complete with everything on it.This one came out of a wrecked impala.The seller was going to do something with it and never did.

Add your comment to this topic!