Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 protege dx a/c question

YenkoZL1
03-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I am having some a/c issues on my Protege DX. Whenever I turn the a/c on and the switch is on 2,3 or 4 the a/c light keeps flickering on and off. Everytime the a/cv light turns off the a/c shuts off and starts to blow hot air until the light kicks back on then it starts to blow cold again. Sometimes the light wont even turn back on. It only stays on when I put the switch on 1(4 blower levels). It use to only do it when the blower switch was set on 2. And now it has progressed to either the a/c light flickering on and off or staying off all together when the switch is on 2,3 or 4. I thought it might be the switch so I replaced the whole switch panel and it is still doing it. Any ideas as to what might be causing this?

RahX
03-24-2009, 07:26 PM
07-005/03

2001-2003 Protege, 2002-2003 Protege5

A/C SWITCH LIGHT GOES OUT AND/OR FLASHES WITH FAN CONTROL SPEED IN NUMBER 2 POSITION

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2001 - 2003 Protege and 2002 - 2003 Protege5 built prior to 12/2/02 and with VINs lower than JM1BJ2***3*150990.

DESCRIPTION

Customer may experience warm air from the dash vents when operating the A/C system with the fan control speed set in the number 2 position for long periods of time. This condition may be caused by the improper logic within the heater control unit. The heater control unit has been modified to correct this concern.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify customer concern.

2. Remove and replace the heater control unit with a modified part according to Workshop Manual (section 07-40 CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT REMOVAL).

3. Verify repair.

green lights p/n: BL8F-61-190D

amber lights p/n: BL8W-61-190F

YenkoZL1
03-28-2009, 03:24 PM
So this is a known problem? Is the heater control unit the knob that changes the temperature in the car from hot to cold or are we talking about the heater core? I already replaced the entire switch panel so does this mean I purchased the wrong one b/c it isn't modified? How do I know if the one I get is the modified version or not?

RahX
03-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Go to a Mazda dealership and buy the right one, take the p/n listed that fits your vehicle (green or amber lights) and you should be good to go. If you bought it aftermarket there is a chance it is refurbished and sold as new.

Add your comment to this topic!