Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Weber 32/36 Tuning

nelam
03-27-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi everyone,
I just installed a new Weber 32/36 DFEV to my 73 620 w/the original L16. I got the carb. from a VW shop. I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, NGK spark plugs, points and condenser, good plug wires, good distributor cap and rotor, and fresh motor oil and filter. I also serviced the cooling system. So everything is fresh. However, I am having problem of tuning this carb.

On the base idle setting, Weber recommends 2 to 2.5 turn out for the mixture screw, and 1 to 1.5 turn for the speed screw. But if I tune my carb. according to this setting my idle speed will be around 3k rpm. The setting I am using is 1 turn out for the mixture screw and zero turn on the speed screw, and my idle is around 1200rpm when fully warmed and this is the most smooth setting.

But the engine just will not idle after a cold start. I got all the electric choke stuff hooked up correctly and I know for sure that the choke is closed when the engine is cold and opens when hot.

In order for it to run, I have to sit there and play with the throttle to make it stays running. After it warms up, then the engine will idle at 1200rpm.

So I pulled the spark plugs out and confirmed that the engine is running rich.

Does that mean I have to change the jets to a smaller size? What else can I do?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Nelson

Dpow
04-28-2003, 09:26 PM
buy a new car with tons of horse power..
and check for gasket leaks.

good luck

Add your comment to this topic!