Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

running like crap

divot91
03-21-2009, 11:43 AM
i got this 1994-95 intrepid, door says 08/94. as a gift, what a gift, the thing runs bad, misses, backfires, and eats gas like no tomarrow. i looked on the net and found a firing order.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu62/divot61/intrepidfireringorder.gif

is this right? i had it running bad but now that i changed the firing order it runs worse, maybe the coils? i have not taken the plugs out yet to see what kiind of condition there in.
trying to remember which wires were changed, 1-5 were switched and 3-6 i think were switched, im bumming now, help asap please

tempfixit
03-21-2009, 08:50 PM
i got this 1994-95 intrepid, door says 08/94. as a gift, what a gift, the thing runs bad, misses, backfires, and eats gas like no tomarrow. i looked on the net and found a firing order.

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu62/divot61/intrepidfireringorder.gif

is this right? i had it running bad but now that i changed the firing order it runs worse, maybe the coils? i have not taken the plugs out yet to see what kiind of condition there in.
trying to remember which wires were changed, 1-5 were switched and 3-6 i think were switched, im bumming now, help asap please

Yes that is correct.

Which engine??

How many miles??

In case you are not aware of the autozone site for repair info this may help:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?chapterTitle=Firing+Orders&partName=Engine+Electrical&pageId=0900c1528006a826&partId=0900c1528006a821

Have you checked for any codes using the key dance method?? Post codes if any.

WHile you have the plugs out do a compression test.

Have you tested the wires??

Make sure you don't have bad injector, add some injector cleaner in gas tank.

divot91
03-22-2009, 03:39 AM
the car has a 3.5 L 24 valve v-6 and it has about 190k, i have not tryed to get any codes yet, not sure how to. and there is brand new wires on it, thats why i thought it may have been wired wrong, thanks again, chris

tempfixit
03-22-2009, 06:56 AM
TO get codes key dance:

Igntion switch off/on, off/on, off/on without starting engine within 5 seconds. Your check engine light will flash. EXAMPLE___flash pause flash flash means code 12.

I would start with removing spark plugs and doing a compression test. If you don't have a compression tester check with auto parts store to rent, usually they need a deposit but is returned when the tool is returned. Harbor frieght has them for about 10 bucks.

Autozone.com has repair info that may be helpful to you.

Post any codes

divot91
03-22-2009, 07:24 AM
well, no codes to speak of, just 12-55, and i do have a comp tester at the golf course shop, ill try that and let you know what the plugs look like and test results of each cyl.
i have one of those pen type spark testers, just lay it on the wire and it flashes, ill try that to. i just think one or more of the coils are bad, like i mentioned earlier, 2-3 of the wires were not hooked up right via the diagram i showed you, honestly, it ran better when the wires were hooked up wrong,via, diagram. thanks again for any info, i think i have my hands full and not very deep pockets

divot91
03-22-2009, 12:44 PM
on the coil pack which direction is the connector pointing up or down? i just switched the wires around and the thing runs great!
i switched 3 and 5 then switched 2 and 6 then 1 and 4
that diagram in my case is not correct

tempfixit
03-22-2009, 04:27 PM
on the coil pack which direction is the connector pointing up or down? i just switched the wires around and the thing runs great!
i switched 3 and 5 then switched 2 and 6 then 1 and 4
that diagram in my case is not correct

Here is another online service manual site:

http://www.oplin.org/databases/proxy2/proxy.php?qurl=http%3a%2f%2farrc.epnet.com%2fautoa sp%2fframerq.asp

enter 123456789 for library card number
click the box with a library in it and some others will show choose Public Library of Cincinnati
Scroll down page to Auto Repair Reference Center (ARRC)
Choose year, make and model

Go to electrical system and click on coil pack it has a picture that you can reference too. According to that the connector is at the bottom.

AWP9521
03-22-2009, 08:00 PM
If you remove the air box tube running along the side of the engine and look on the coil pack next to the plug wire towers (a small miorror and a flashlight will help) you will find the towers are numbered for the cylinders the plug wires are to be connected to, the passenger side bank are the odd numbered cylinders (1,3 and 5 from the front of the engine) and the driver side bank are the even numbered cylinders (2, 4, and 6.).

divot91
03-23-2009, 04:17 PM
ok AWP, yes someone put the coil pack in upside down, but, the way its wired it runs good, idles about 1500 but runs strong, bare with me on this,
#1 coil stud is hooked with #1 cyl,
#2 coil stud is hooked with #5 cyl,
#3 coil stud is hooked with #6 cyl,
#4 coil stud is hooked with #4 cyl,
#5 coil stud is hooked with #2 cyl,
#6 coil stud is hooked with #3 cyl.
how can this car run as well as it does and be so wrong. now that i have everything written down i geuss i will try to change it the way its printed on the diagram, now that i know that its mounted upside down, ill let you know what happens in a short while, thanks again, chris

Add your comment to this topic!