b16a will not start, please help, give me some ideas

big tex84
03-20-2009, 10:08 PM
I just finished installing my b16a non-obd into my 89 std civic hatch. I have gone over and over and over my wiring. my issue is, I turn the key and the engine turns, but it will not start. no codes, and the fuel is getting to the fuel rail. I have spark on all four plugs. this is my first b-series please help me, ive spent too much time and money for this to not run. i have my suspicions on what is wrong, but please give me some ideas and pointers just incase im wrong. also if I put my hand over the intake, and block it off, after the engine turns a couple of times it hits for like half a second and acts like its gonna start but doesent. also one more thing as I am new to b-series, when the key is just in the on position, I can hear a faint whine/humm around the intake manifold, is this normal, please help I am getting discouraged and desperate.

ctwright
03-20-2009, 10:27 PM
check your timing, and double check that you have your plug wires correct for the firing order it should be 1-3-4-2

big tex84
03-20-2009, 11:08 PM
just curiosity, but would a vacuum leak cause it to not start? im gonna check that tommorrow, but its one of those things I am curious about

big tex84
03-21-2009, 05:11 AM
bump

big tex84
03-21-2009, 02:58 PM
bump

big tex84
03-21-2009, 02:59 PM
come on guys the timing is dead on, wat else?

big tex84
03-21-2009, 06:06 PM
alright i sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake and it started for like half a second, then i tryed again with no carb cleaner and it started but it was shakin real bad like it was only on 1 cylinder or something, and i had to hold it to the floor to keep it going, it threw a code 21 vtec spool-wtf? when i hold my hand over the intake it starts for like a sec but it doesnt shake, its smooth. im thinkin its a vacuum leak somewhere, but how do I check if I cant get it started?

ctwright
03-21-2009, 06:38 PM
can you take a picture from a camera that has a flash on it so we can get a good picture of the motor, the distributor, plug wires and all of that, try to get several pics from different areas maybe someone can spot a vacuum hose missing or ran wrong or something

big tex84
03-22-2009, 06:35 PM
well, if i had worse luck i would be dead, iwas taking pics and tripped, dropped my camera, and it effin broke. any way ill try and describe my setup as I have no emissions crap on my car. All I have are three vacuum lines on the manifold. I have a line that runs from the back of the manifold to my fpr, I have the line to the brake booster where it is suppost to go, and I have a line that runs from the correct vacuum port on the throttlebody to the map sensor. the port on the valve cover is open at this time as there is no intake tube on the car right now. the unused vacuum ports are capped off. I checked my wiring to the ecu multiple times and it is correct, i have a wiring harness from rywire. I am getting spark on all plugs, and fuel to the rail, how do I check if my injectors are actually firing? If my intake manifold gasket is leaking can it cause this situation? Im so frustrated that I just wanna pour gasoline all over the car, climb in, and set it on fire!!! please help has someone else had this situation?

CivicSpoon
03-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Fix your intake manifold gasket leak. A major vacuum leak can cause a car not to start. Next, do a search around online for a service manual. The manual will have the details on how to make sure your injectors are working, if you still need to check that out.

big tex84
03-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Civic spoon, I am not sure if the gasket is leaking or not, it was just a what if kinda question, but has it happened before that this is the issue for not starting? how do I check if it is leaking if I cant get it started? thanxx I appreciate the help of everyone on this board, without all the info and knowledge i have gained from here I wouldnt have even attempted the swap myself. Ill try back later .

CivicSpoon
03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
I really can't think of a way to check for a leak, if the car won't even start. Why exactly would you think to mention a possible leak to begin with? There are only a few things that will make a car not start. A car needs fuel, spark and compression. So you start with testing the spark first, which you did. Then you move to fuel, and it sounds like you're most of the way there with that. What injectors are you using, and are you using a resistor box? Also what ECU are you using (including OBD of it)? If the fuel thing is cleared, you should then move on to a compression test. Either rent a compression tester (autozone, pep boys, etc) or buy one, and see if you're getting compression. If you have compression, then the issue is something likely electronic.

big tex84
03-24-2009, 12:55 AM
im still not sure if the injectors are firing, a friend is coming over tommorrow with a noid light and a compression tester ill post the results afterward, a vacuum leak was the only thing I could think of, ive got spark, ive got fuel to the rail, im still not sure the injectors are firing, they are stock obd0 b16a peak and hold injectors, yes have a resistor box that came with the engine, i am running a obd0 pr3 ecu, however my buddy who is a mastertech and thank god, is coming over, says it may not be getting enough fuel pressure for the injectors to fire, seeing as it is the original fuel pump in my hatch, he says that for its age, and the fact that it has been runnin dpfi its whole life it may not be up to snuff. also another friend of mine said that if a motor sits for a long period of time that it will have to build up compression and for me to try putting a little oil in each cylinder to help with compression? ive never heard of this, do you this this is worth a try or is he full of bs?

big tex84
03-24-2009, 11:41 PM
ok, this is so wierd, we tested compression it was good, used a noid light all injectors are getting signal, so we try and start it, guess the fuck what? the sum bitch starts, but its like running at 200 rpms, not 2000, 200, running on like 2 cylinders, so he suggests putting brand new plugs in, i put em in, crank it, it starts but is still running like shit so i just let it run sounding like a tractor, after about 5 mins, it just roars to life!!! wtf? its runnin great!! only issue is that the ecu is throwing code 21 vtec spool, why would it be throwing that at start up every time, ive cleared it 2wice. i thought that if there was a cylinoid issue it would kick the cel at vtec rpm, this is coming on at start up. anyway im gonna flush the engine 2morrow, clean the screen in the cylinoid.

somick
03-25-2009, 12:29 PM
big tex I understand your frustration but still watch your language and keep in mind that this is a public forum...

Add your comment to this topic!