Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel gauge part name

dh271
03-20-2009, 04:23 PM
My fuel gauge was not working for a while. My fuel pump went bad a couple of months later. I replaced my fuel pump but the gauge still doesn`t work, It does move but in the wrong spot. What is the name of the part in the instrument cluster for the gauge and is it replaceable or do I have to replace the instrument cluster altogether?

stuzman
03-20-2009, 06:09 PM
My fuel gauge was not working for a while. My fuel pump went bad a couple of months later. I replaced my fuel pump but the gauge still doesn`t work, It does move but in the wrong spot. What is the name of the part in the instrument cluster for the gauge and is it replaceable or do I have to replace the instrument cluster altogether?

Are you sure the sending unit is okay? I don't see any mention of it in your post.

dh271
03-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I installed another fuel pump, isn`t the fuel sending unit in that?

stuzman
03-21-2009, 10:47 PM
I installed another fuel pump, isn`t the fuel sending unit in that?

At one time with GM in the past, you had to buy the entire assembly, pump and sending unit. Now, you can buy each unit separately or as a complete unit. When I replaced my sending unit, I just replaced it and not the pump.
GM mentioned awhile back that too much sulfur in gasoline can hurt the sending units. Since there were a lot of failures, they decided to allow customers to buy only the sending unit.

If you did replace the sending unit, you could substitue a variable resistance, (not sure of value) to see if the gauge works correctly. Most of the time when the gauge starts acting up, 9 out of 10 times, it will be the sending unit. Do you have a wiring diagram for the car?

dh271
03-21-2009, 11:07 PM
It was all one piece fuel pump. Sending unit is in the fuel pump isn`t it? When I replaced the fuel pump, sending unit would be a part of it already, correct?

Add your comment to this topic!