Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 transport Transmission

wife's_mechanic
03-19-2009, 12:43 PM
93 Pontiac Transport Transmission only has 50,000 miles. Wife was going forward and didn't come to a complete stop when she put into reverse. Said she was going very fast at all. Like she was almost stopped. "umhum... Anyway, the transmission will not move the vehicle in any gear. Once engine has heated up some I can hear something when it is put into reverse. Nothing in the other gears. Sounds alomost like it is engaging, but no workie. Any suggestions on where to start. I did raise front end and turned one wheel and the other turned in the opposite direction. I believe this to be normal. I was toild by a transmission sho that still did not rule out the axles.

Other than the faint noise when trying reverse, I hear absolutely nothing. I would think that i would hear someting if someting was destroyed but I am not a transnmission expert.

wife's_mechanic
03-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Additional information if someone has any ideas. I raised the front end and let engine com up to temp. I definitelyy hear it engage when going into reverse and see the wheel move some. In addition, when I put into drive and raise the rpm to about 3000 the wheels will spin slowly. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am hoping not the pump or TC.

yellowfiero
03-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Wow, that's pretty low mileage for that year.

Jeffrv
03-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Is your van equipped with the 3.1 engine ( 3 speed trans) or 3.8 engine ( 4 speed electronic trans)?
Jeff

wife's_mechanic
03-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Jeff hanks for the reply, it has the 3.1. The engine and transmission were replaced at the dealership 50,000 miles ago.

LMP
03-20-2009, 02:10 PM
..reminds me when I had the low/rev band torn off when I abused the transmission in reverse with my late Ford C4.....no reverse but I still had forward movement, though no engine braking...will dig the manual and come back..in the mean time, check this out:
.... www.avigex.ca/xport/3T40rev.jpg

...well...for NO DRIVE IN ALL RANGES, causes (dismissing all factors that are time dependant) could be

1: "reaction carrier broken at lo roller clutch cam..right in above graphic....this single element is common to reverse and 1st gear. ACcording to range chart , if car could by some magic means reach 2nd gear shift speed...it could then continue in 2nd and 3rd gear...mmm..not practical...

2: differential damaged/broken up

3: input shaft loose or broken away from forwrd clutch drum.

I'd hope for more benign causes, like low "oil level, broken drive link, manual linkage misadjusted" to replace this pessimistic explanation....

Add your comment to this topic!