Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Computer Suggestions?

Nicole8188
03-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Am looking to buy a new computer soon as my current one is on its deathbed.

There are about a bajillion computers out there and I'm wondering if anyone here as advice. Nick has a mac, and I think one of those is enough for a household. Plus I'm just too stubborn to make the switch.

I use my computer mostly for internet surfing, and have been getting into web design recently and just acquired Adobe CS4. I really just want something that I can beat up a little bit but will still work.

Suggestions? Advice?

Nicole8188
03-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks, everybody!

WickedNYCowboy
03-29-2009, 03:31 AM
I can't help you with your choice of computer, but I can teach you to drive a trailer, or shift an 18 Speed Road Ranger. :)

Toksin
03-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Just get one that's within your budget and is known to have a low failure rate :p

Toshiba or Asus.

blazee
03-29-2009, 06:49 AM
I can't help you with your choice of computer, but I can teach you to drive a trailer, or shit an 18 Speed Road Ranger. :):eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: HOLY SHIT! Now that would be impressive!

:rofl:

Shortbus
03-29-2009, 07:59 PM
My last two computers have been cheap walmart pc's. One is an aspire the other is an HP Pavillion which I vowed to never buy again. But they were both less than 400 and came with 19" flatscreen monitors. The aspire is two years old and working great the HP I bought for my son at Christmas 08 and its perfect for him I never use it but he is on it constantly.

Use to be a time when I would buy expensive pc's like dell (which aren't that pricey anymore) but I have found they fail just as often as the others. Most notably the power supplies tend to burn up.

Plus the technology changes so often as well as software you are throwing money away buying expensive computers. So I tend to buy cheap ones and when they die pull the harddrive buy a new one and dump the old drive into the new pc or just copy it.

Don't know if this helped you or not just my humble opinion.

ericn1300
03-29-2009, 08:33 PM
I tend to buy cheap ones and when they die pull the harddrive buy a new one and dump the old drive into the new pc or just copy it.

I have to agree, the quantum changes of computers from year to year have ended. Buy a close out model and save a few bucks.

I'd absolutely recommend a laptop over a desk top for the applications you listed. It's much more fun to go wireless and have your PC with you.

Neutrino
03-30-2009, 08:49 AM
If you can get someone to build one for you (friend or local shop) nothing beats a custom build. Parts are soooo cheap nowadays.

You can go with a super cheap budget athlonx2 build

a step above you can get a phenon II x3

or a nice midrange phenom II x4 or quadcore peryn intel chip

and if your budget can take it you can get a nice core i7 from intel.

The nice thing is that memory (ddr2 and even ddr3 to a somewhat lesser extent) is amazingly cheap, and photoshop LOVES lots of memory.

Furthermore if the budget allows get a separate drive to use a scratch drive for photoshop (velociraptor preferably - SSDs are bit iffy at this point, even the intel x25-m) and a video card that cs4 can use to accelerate some of its operations.

Anyway it all starts with the budget...

WickedNYCowboy
03-31-2009, 10:25 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: HOLY SHIT! Now that would be impressive!:rofl:

It's not complicated. It's like a 8/9 Speed just split on top and bottom. 13 speed is 8/9 split on the top end only.

blazee
03-31-2009, 10:52 PM
It's not complicated. It's like a 8/9 Speed just split on top and bottom. 13 speed is 8/9 split on the top end only.Oh, I know all that. I'm just amazed that you can shit one. Doesn't that hurt?

WickedNYCowboy
04-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh, I know all that. I'm just amazed that you can shit one. Doesn't that hurt?
There fixed. Wouldn't know, I was going to make a comment but I'll keep that politically incorrect humor to myself.

-Josh-
04-02-2009, 01:04 PM
There's no such thing as a Bajillion

blazee
04-04-2009, 03:16 AM
There's no such thing as a Bajillion
Are you sure? I know that I've heard it used at least a Bajillion times. :biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!