Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Throttle Issue : 1958 VW Pickup

cbbond
03-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Dear Forum Members:

I recently had my mechanic replace a clutch cable on my VW Pickup (36 Horse Motor). Clutch cable is in and adjusted. However, the gas pedal is sticking now and the idle goes out of control. I use my choke as the idle control for the vehicle. I pull the choke out to start and push the choke in when I am ready to drive (I don't push the choke all the way in when driving - just a tick away from all the way in). Now the choke does not control my idle.

How can make adjustments so that my choke controls the idle ? How can I fix a sticky gas pedal ?

Please help!

Casey

denisond3
04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
I think the clutch cable and the throttle cable run adjacent to each other, down by the pedals, and possibly again at the back, just ahead of where the clutch cable connects to the release arm for the clutch. I suspect the cables are interfering - like maybe the clutch cable has the throttle cable wrapped around it - and is binding the throttle cable. I know the buses are different from the beetles in this regard, but still have a lot of similarities.
And if there is a lot of rust under the middle of your 'type 2' VW, it could be that the throttle cable is supposed to be running in a metal tube separate from the clutch cable - but the tube has rusted away at some point.
Good Luck with your vintage 'type 2'.
Have you seen the travel-blog of the couple who are driving their 1958 bus from the U.S.A. down through central America. www.bumfuzzle.com (http://www.bumfuzzle.com). They have reached the Peru/Bolivia border at last report. They have a leaky reductio gear box on one side of the rear axle.

Of course the problem could be at the carburetor I suppose. You might want to undo the cable where it connects to the carburetor linkage, and make sure the 'stickiness' is not due to the carburetor or the linkage itself. They will eventually wear enough that the linkage may hang up.

Add your comment to this topic!