Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Urgent-mist coats

guiwee
03-16-2009, 08:53 PM
hey if i get some dust and hair in my 2nd mist coat...what is the best grit of sandpaper to remove it with and should i sand and reprime or just sand?
I know it might be a cheesy and easy to topic for some of you guys but any help would be appreciated!

MPWR
03-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Use the finest you have. I like 2000, or finer.

No worries sanding. Sand out the dust and apply more mist coats. Repeat until finished. Dust is much easier to deal with spraying mistcoats than wetcoats.

guiwee
03-16-2009, 09:19 PM
thanks im gonna let it sit overnight and then sand it tomorrow morning. i just brought some 4000grit ill try that... and some 2000 i have from tamiya
What if i got it in the wet coats is the procedure any different?

Some_Kid
03-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I'd say 2000, 1500 at the toughest grit. Just do enough to sand the dust off, do your best not to sand though the primer.

MPWR
03-16-2009, 10:02 PM
thanks im gonna let it sit overnight and then sand it tomorrow morning. i just brought some 4000grit ill try that... and some 2000 i have from tamiya

4000 may do great, try it first. If you need a bit more abrasion, step down to the 2000.

What if i got it in the wet coats is the procedure any different?You can- but why bother with wet coats? :dunno:

Try building up the color with mist coats alone. In between, give each mist coat an hour or two to dry (outgas). Then sand any imperfections (dust/debris/texture), and apply another mist coat. You can sand just specific areas, or you can sand the whole body between coats- but this way you solve any imperfections as you paint. Don't put more on until you're happy wiht the previous coat. Give it 6-8 mistcoats so the color is even and opaque and you're done- on to clearcoating.

Dust can be sanded out of wetcoats, but it isn't quite as easy. You have less control of the paint, and it's more likely to texture on you. And it takes much longer for a wet coat to outgas before its safe to sand. There is no need to apply the paint (or clearcoat) in wet coats, so why mess with them?

guiwee
03-16-2009, 11:15 PM
hey mp since yer just a fountain of knowledge i have a coupla questions for you..1.is one hour enough for the paint to dry in order to be handled..2.can i wet it after i sand it without messing up the paint..i think so but ive never done it before(too scared to try)3.i only spray with tamiya w/o airbrush.4. so i could sand and repaint after 11 hour drying time?..i dont wanna leave any marks by over handling it

MPWR
03-17-2009, 08:30 AM
You're spraying Tamiya TS lacquers straight from the can?

1- If you're spraying it on in light mist coats, one to two hours is usually enough time to handle the paint, and even do light sanding. If you're spraying wet coats, it can take much longer, as it's much harder for the solvents to outgas from a thick layer.

2- You can wet sand, but dry sanding with fine abrasive is easier and safer. In wet sanding, it's easy for the water to leave deposits that can be very difficult to clean away. And of course you have to wait for the water to dry before applying more paint. If you're using suitably fine abrasives, wet sanding between coats doesn't really give you any advantages- just do it dry.

4. 11 hours should be fine. It depends on how thick the paint you've sprayed is (see outgassing above), but that should be entirely sufficient time to handle it and sand. Even so, it's best to minimize actually touching the paint with your fingers. Handle the body as much as you can by the edges and inside surfaces.

Add your comment to this topic!