Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Steering/Heating/Cooling Problem

stiavnican
03-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I found AutomotiveForums.com a week or so ago and I can't believe how much information is here and how helpful you folks are. Wish I'd known about it years ago when my CHL first came on (eventually proved to be the 171/174 intake manifold bolt seal problem, of course); you guys are great.

BTW, I'm not much of a DYI, but have recently been burned by being an uninformed repair shop customer.

Anyway, long story long, I have a 1999 3.8 liter Windstar LX. A few months ago I started getting the typical steering pump whining on hard turns, gradually getting louder, then apparent on even minimal turns. As it got worse, I started having the noise at starting, especially cold starts, then some stalling on cold starts, then some stalling on hard turns.

Took it to a shop, said I wasn't really convinced it was the steering because of the cold start and stalling issues and the fact that almost everything in the whole engine compartment is driven off that one big belt, but they were convinced it was and replaced the steering pump. Problem returned so they replaced the rack. Not long after, problem returned, so they replaced pump for free; charged pump supplier. Problem returned almost right away, so they replaced pump AND rack for free; charged parts supplier again. This time they also contacted Ford and were told to bleed air like crazy before giving it back to me.

I took it back, though they admitted there was still a little whining, as there was. They were pretty sure it would get better. For awhile, it just got worse. Then suddenly, it did get better, but at that exact time, my heater began pushing pretty cool air, instead of the hot it had been pushing moments before. As I recently also got a new heater core from the same guys, that had been working well, I didn’t think it was that. I checked the coolant level; good. I checked the tailpipe exhaust with a fully hot engine on that cold day: steamy white (it had been clear the day before, when the steering whine had been worse).

That’s when I found this forum, and the cooling system info on the sticky. Yesterday, I poured a bottle of Bar’s Stop into the coolant overflow bottle (didn’t see anywhere on the rad itself to open and dump it in). The engine was already slightly warm, and just a minute or two after starting up again after adding the Bar’s, I had all the hot air from the blower I could want, which I definitely had not had a from a fully hot engine that very morning. I can’t believe the Bar’s could work that fast, but it seems to have.

I’m assuming this is something like that cover gasket problem and the Bar’s is not really going to be enough. Right now, I have hot air, and very small amount of steering whine. However, my oil pressure light is coming on at half the red lights I arrive at, and has caused one stall. Oil level is full; due for an oil change but it’s only 3 months now, so that’s not it (wouldn’t be anyway, of course).

I’m more than ever convinced that the problem never really was steering pump or rack. What do you guys, far more knowledgeable, think it is?

northern piper
03-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Ok, here's my best advice. Go to this site http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
call them on the phone and ask for a oil test kit to be sent to you. It's free and will arrive in a few days. When you're getting your oil changed, I'd suggest as soon as the kit arrives, collect a sample as directed by Blackstone and send it to them asap. They'll evaluate the oil and tell you what's going on. Think of this like your doctor doing bloodwork on you. Before major problems crop up your oil will likely indicate a problem. Now this report won't help with the steering problem but it sounds like they're just throwing parts at that. Once your oil report is back that'll give you some direction.

Piper

Add your comment to this topic!