Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Right turn signal acting weird.

jdrh
03-15-2009, 03:53 PM
I have a 98 Venture and about a couple of weeks ago the ABS light came on and seems to be affecting the right turn signal and the brake light. When I depress the brake pedal, both turn signal indicators come on faintly. With the right turn signal on and the brake depressed, the front signal flashes fast and the back turn signal and brake light flash alternately and not very brightly. I've read the posts about the possible short in the connectors at the light assembly, but both of mine are like new. No visible problem. From experience with bad grounds on trailer lights, this seems to act the same way. Are there any other places to check wiring? Could it be inside the light assembly where the circuit board is?
I'm sure that the ABS light and the brake light are related. I've had a couple of days when the ABS light didn't come on and the brake light worked correctly.

merc81
03-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Check the pass-thru connector that is near the rear wheel house and allows the cable to pass into the floor of the van. The connectors go bad same as the ones in the tail lights.

jdrh
03-24-2009, 06:48 AM
Still haven't found the problem. I unplugged the connectors where they go through the floor pan and they appeared to be ok. Is there a way to check the tail light assembly?

merc81
03-25-2009, 07:29 PM
You did read this forum for similar posts? The connectors feeding the tail lights get wet and short out. I'm sorry I didn't mention it first, I thought you knew. Open the tail light and unplug the thing, then look down at the connector inside the assembly.

cjstew4
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Still haven't found the problem. I unplugged the connectors where they go through the floor pan and they appeared to be ok. Is there a way to check the tail light assembly?

Agree with merc81's last post since I had the shorted ground at the rear tail lights. I now have the same symptoms after 2 yrs of perfect operation. I know the 90 degree drain hose on the firewall fell off on my 97 which basically then sent the condensation,etc from the A/C into the cabin starting under the carpeting on the passenger seat front area and floods into the channel where the wire harness for many different functions is located as you step into the van. I need to pull the harness out and ensure each wire is still intact.

jdrh
04-01-2009, 09:21 PM
I had checked the connectors at the tail light assembly and they looked ok. I checked again, and this time was able to see that the one pin (ground) was dark instead of bright like the others. The metal piece in the receptacle was partly gone. The plastic part of the connectors was fine. I put a little piece of aluminum foil in the hole in the female plug and now it works. At some point I will probably have to get a new connector. Thanks for the help.

merc81
04-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Pop the tail light assembly apart, remove the circuit board inside and then poke out and disgard the insulator block that's in the connector molding. Once that is gone, there will be no place for water to accumulate. Its a real %&8## getting the connectors mated back up correctly without that insulator block, but you will never have a repeat problem with shorts after the change.

Add your comment to this topic!