Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 contour 2.0 rear brake shoes retracting star

ladagosta
03-15-2009, 02:24 PM
98 ford contour auto sedan 2.0
I havent done a shoe change for over 20 years but from what i recall there should be a star to retract the shoes so that you can fit the drums back on the wheel.. well where the H is this and how come i cant find it?
the drum wont fit over the shoes the way it is and I cant seem to locate the star to retract them in to get the drum over them.
first off I know the shoes i got form autozone werent going to work cause they were the larger size so that was one day wasted and now i let another day pass thinking I would have them done today now i run into a problem finding the retracting star....
PLease help
thanx.
Linda D

ladagosta
03-16-2009, 09:57 PM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s214/way2old1/sablebrake.jpg
I hope this picture is viewable
the oblong slot where I am used to seeing the retracting star is not where it was found. It was found at the top of the backing plate, (obviously behind the brake adjustment lever, that was a toal brain fart on my part) and it is round and slightly bigger the the diameter of a pencil. and completely blended in with the oil grim color of the backing plate..amazing I got one side together and found a problem getting the other side to retract enough still to get the drum over it. I will attempt to tackle that tomorrow and hopefully we will be back on the road again ..
thank you for taking the time and patience to help me SEE the Little rubber plug to adjust these shoes..
LAD

Add your comment to this topic!