Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

PCV Catch Can Install

Dekeman
03-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Hey all,

Just wanted to share some pics of my PCV catch can install- they on my Webshots page at http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2407908570101767595XuGacf. Though the weather up here in the North Country is warming up slightly, there's still oil being deposited in there. It's an attempt to keep my intake cleaner, as I cleaned out the EGR ports in the upper intake last year. All that oil that's being caught would normally go through your throttle body. I got a good look in there a couple weeks ago when I replaced my coil, and all the oil in there ticked me off. After all, it was squeaky clean after I did the iso bolt job last year! Just the thought of ANY oil in the intake kind of rubbed me the wrong way after the nasty oil mess I cleaned up doing the iso bolt fix. So I did a bit of research on here and through Google, and came up with a simple solution. I think it cost me maybe 20 bucks. Some details are on the webshots page, but if you need more info, I'm here.

northern piper
03-15-2009, 06:59 PM
I too installed one like you. It collects about 1/2" of milky, oily gunk and I'm really happy that it doesn't end up in the intake. Watch that your rubber lines don't flex or collapse. I've found that I had to make sure they don't get pinched too when the van hood closes.

Dekeman
03-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey Piper- I think I saw your pics of your PCV setup when I was doing my research. Thanks for the help if that was you! I'm pretty confident that my lines are pinch-free, as I checked where the hood drops to and the lines seem clear. I will keep an eye on the collapsing issue, though. Thanks for the heads-up!

wiswind
03-15-2009, 08:10 PM
My only concern with your setup is the size of the catch can.
I cannot see from the picture how big it is.
I have a Greddy catch can......it is hard to tell its size from this picture.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2194098380011220610sMWSny
The PCV line is in the REAR valve cover on my '96.....so my hose routing will be different than yours.
I like having long lines.....and a large dead air space that is provided by a large catch can.
Mine fills up in a hurry in the cold winter weather with a lot of water........but very slow in warm weather.

Another step in keeping the intake clean is to use ONLY a Genuine Motorcraft PCV valve as some of the aftermarket units may not meter the correct air flow.
You do NOT want to reduce the air flow from the FORD designed....better some oil than to not have enough flow....which would result in your oil breaking down sooner.....sludge...etc.

northern piper
03-16-2009, 07:46 AM
I've been using the same catch can now since October 2008. I'd assume that winter would be the toughest test and it seems to be ok. I've drained/cleaned it 2 times since then (at oil change mtc) and like I said earlier, there was about 3/4" of gunk. Unfortunately my wife, the van primary driver, does fairly short trips so the van would be generating more of the gunk vs a longer driving period. I think the can is big enough personally but you do need to watch the volume building up. The other thing to watch is the little drain valve on the bottom of the can. It's too loose in my opinion and I ended up zip tying it in the closed position so that it wouldn't accidentally get bumped or vibrate to the open position. You may want to check yours out Dekeman. If my pix helped I'm happy. No sense reinventing the wheel :biggrin:

Piper

Dekeman
03-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks, Wiswind. I'm not too concerned with the size of the can itself- it'll hold about 4 oz. and I've been watching it pretty closely since installing it. I opted for a shorter run of the lines to approximate what Ford designed into the PCV system. I wasn't sure that longer runs would be better, so I kept it as short as possible (again, trying to stick close to the original length) while keeping everything out of the way. The drain valve on the bottom will stay closed by itself. I have to go in there and tug on it pretty good to let it open. I've seen other compressor filters (that's what this is) with what looks like a vacuum plug on the bottom. I've had my eye out for a bit now looking for one that will fit over that drain nipple just to dress it up and as a 'just in case'. I'm monitoring it pretty closely right now with it being new and all, but it's not putting out a lot of fluid yet.

kingfishracin
03-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Where can I get one of these cans?

northern piper
03-16-2009, 05:58 PM
It's actually a campbell-hausfield water drain for a compressor. You can find them in any big box store. I took the metal, gold coloured filter out of the inside to allow for free airflow. I think Dekeman did too by the looks of his pix but he may chime in to confirm.

wiswind
03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I would recommend removing the internal filter as mentioned......it is likely to clog and restrict the air flow.
I like to leave mine alone for a month at a time.
I was hoping that locating the catch can in a cooler location in the engine compartment....with longer lines....the air might cool some.....giving a greater opportunity for the vapor to drop out in the dead space in the catch can.

Ideal situation is to maintain the SAME air flow through the PCV system...pulling out what needs to be pulled out.....but catching as much gunk in the catch can....keeping the intake cleaner for longer.

Again....take note of the fact that the PCV valve is in the REAR valve cover up through 1998.
In 1999, they moved the PCV valve to the FRONT valve cover.
Keep this in mind when using the pictures linked above as a guide to installing one on your vehicle.
The catch can is installed in the line that goes from the PCV valve to the intake manifold.

Dekeman
03-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I took my filter out, and the gear-like thing as well, at Wiswind's suggestion. It ensures maximum air flow and really opened things up for the oil to drop. I didn't consider the cooling properties of running longer lines to the edge of the engine compartment, but it seems to be working out well. My filter is actually a Kobalt filter from Lowe's, since Home Despot and Wal-Mart didn't carry any. I was looking for a Husky at HD since it's black and would have matched the van's color scheme. Anal, huh? ;)

Some helpful links I used:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=902544 (Northern Piper's thread)
http://www.pbase.com/rsrock/image/33614056 (didn't use all the mounting stuff this guy suggests, but the plumbing part was extremely helpful)
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/81462-how-many-pcv-catch-can-users-out-there.html (generally helpful and informative thread)
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=290 (another informative thread)

Hope this helps!!

parkerb
01-01-2010, 07:33 PM
hi gang, happy holidays! long time lurker. have both '00 and '02 windstars. both have plugged PCV systems (k&n breather on valve cover, plug at intake) since the vehicles were new new after experiencing the oil ingestion problem, and doing the ford TSB with no change in the amount of fluid found in the PCV valve line.

so now, after leaving well enough alone, i'm deciding to hook things back up with the hopes of a) keeping leaks from occuring, b) getting more miles out of my amsoil.

but before driving i'm waiting on a stage 2 www.saikoumichi.com occ. (oil catch can). question for the guys running a OCC- any concerns running 3/8" line from the ford PCV valve all the way to the can and back to the ford hose at the intake where i'll cut the factory line and hose clamp the line from the OCC? i'm concerned about the vaccum sucking shut the hose all that way? i'm considering the factory 3/8" line is high temp plastic- very ridgid. should i change the nipple size on the OCC to something larger, or is 3/8" the way to go?

tia,
parker

Dekeman
01-01-2010, 11:15 PM
question for the guys running a OCC- any concerns running 3/8" line from the ford PCV valve all the way to the can and back to the ford hose at the intake where i'll cut the factory line and hose clamp the line from the OCC? i'm concerned about the vaccum sucking shut the hose all that way? i'm considering the factory 3/8" line is high temp plastic- very ridgid. should i change the nipple size on the OCC to something larger, or is 3/8" the way to go?

3/8" is the size you want. I got a length of emission/fuel tubing to do my mods and the vacuum is not an issue at all. I'm not running an OCC per se, so my lines aren't as long as what I'm assuming yours will be, but use the right tubing and you shouldn't have a problem.

northern piper
01-02-2010, 04:03 PM
ditto on that regarding the 3/8" line. Mine does "flatten" a bit but I've never got a code or any problem so I think it's fine. Sure collects a bunch of milky gunk in the cold weather though!

P

Dekeman
01-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Sure does. Better than back into the intake though!

parkerb
01-02-2010, 06:12 PM
what quantites are you draining from your catch cans? over what duration/ period?

a "coke" can is 12 oz. (for reference).

northern piper
01-04-2010, 12:57 PM
typically I can drain about a shotglass of "gunk" out per oil change (~4000km) in the winter. In the summer it'd be more like teaspoonful. While it's not really that much liquid, I think it's better not in the intake or leaking all over the block. My filter, which admittedly is a compressor filter not a true catch can is only about 1 inch in diameter by about 3 inches long. So, not a full coke can by any means.

parkerb
01-16-2010, 06:12 AM
hey gang. just a follow up since i received the OCC and installed it yesterday. here's some photos.

hope to go for a drive today and check it out.

question again: i noticed the breather line had deposited a mess from it's port [in the hose] right in front of the throttle body. anyone else have this? or did it occur because i've been running the pcv valve disconnected?

*sorry about that, i think i've made the photobucket account changes so you can see them now.*

wiswind
01-17-2010, 07:48 AM
It is likely that the deposit is from the PCV line being disconnected.
I would advise against disconnecting the PCV line.....it will cause sludge buidlup inside the motor, and also cause the oil to break down much faster.
Better to have a mess in the intake from the PCV than the problems caused by not having it.

Once you install a catch can system, make sure to verify that you still have a good and powerful draw through the PCV valve.
You do not want the installation to reduce the flow in any way.

veerg
01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
hey gang. just a follow up since i received the OCC and installed it yesterday. here's some photos.
http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/parkerbrooks/

hope to go for a drive today and check it out.

question again: i noticed the breather line had deposited a mess from it's port [in the hose] right in front of the throttle body. anyone else have this? or did it occur because i've been running the pcv valve disconnected?

How can one see these photos. I just registered at the site. But still don't know how to find the photos.

danielsatur
01-17-2010, 11:49 AM
A good premium PCV valve mounted above the valve cover works good, the oil will go back into the valve cover.

wiswind
01-17-2010, 05:16 PM
The link to the photos, I think that you were logged in when you copied the link.....
You will need to log out......and go into the pictures as a guest.....then copy and past the link.
You will also need to have access to your pictures available for guests.
How do I know this?.......I have made the same mistake with trying to link to my pictures.

As I have mentioned.....beating a dead horse......the oil from the PCV can be a pain.....but it is SUPER important that the PCV flow not be reduced or stopped.......it is super critical to the life of your motor.

danielsatur
01-17-2010, 05:33 PM
If using a Catch can, PCV valve, fuel filters, oil seperators, it's best to go with an external filter, so the PCV emissions don't contaminate you MAF, IACT, and throttle body.

wiswind
01-17-2010, 06:07 PM
But don't forget to plug the hole where the breather went....or you will get lean codes, etc.

danielsatur
01-17-2010, 07:24 PM
I was hoping to connect a wet injection Nitrous oxide (N20) system to that port for some more horse power.

parkerb
01-19-2010, 11:27 AM
sorry about that! hopefully i've modified the photobucket settings.

daniel: a good premium pcv valve? are you talking about a air/ oil separator?

wiswind: i've been critical with my amsoil's longevity of lately, however it's probably all due to my "modification." i look forward to further analysis and see how it's doing.
and in checking flow- when i touch the line near the pcv valve i feel a studder-like pulse. that was there before the OCC install, and i felt it again now.

question now on the proper flow of the air with the pcv valve connected. will the breather line only be a inlet, or will it still be used for a outlet?

i finally drove it today. 10 miles. and i swore i started to feel a surging when decelerating. now i'll look at those posts and see if i've got something else to concern myself with.

wiswind
01-19-2010, 05:31 PM
The breather should be ONLY a input.......air flowing into the crankcase to replace the air drawn out through the PCV valve.

To check flow, I usually lift the PCV valve out of the valve cover with the motor running and hear it "hiss" maybe put a finger over the end to feel the vaccum.......can check for soft hoses that may collapse that way.

I have been running Redline oil......and keep my oil change interval at 5000 miles.......even a bit shorter in the winter.
So that would indicate that I am not into extended oil change interval.
For some.....extending the OCI works....but I would verify it by having the oil tested......you take a sample and send it in to a lab.

Add your comment to this topic!