Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Eldorado running horrible!

Iforget
03-14-2009, 08:00 PM
I got this 92 Eldorado running horrible! Its studdering extremely bad. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the throttle body bc at first glance it looked carborated to me.. Did the trick for about a half a day. It ran great! Then the problem started back. I changed the fuel filter, same thing ran good for a day or so then back to the same studdering. If I pump the gas a couple times before starting it runs fine for awhile. I figure its gotta be a gas related problem. It also backfires which leads me to believe its running too rich. I got some codes coming up aswell but nothing that seems to be gas related. codes:E052-pcm memory not set I052-Keep alive memory error
R026-Driver initiator circut open R051- frontal crash detected (im guessing it got into a wreck before I got it) Does someone have any clues? Pleeeeeease Help!

discnik
03-15-2009, 12:21 AM
What size engine, fuel injected or throttle body ?

maxwedge
03-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Welcome to AF. This engine is a throttle body injected 4.9l. Kinda vague as to the exact symptoms. I would check fuel pressure for starters.

discnik
03-15-2009, 11:43 AM
When is the last time this had a tune-up ? If the plug wires are old you could be getting an intermittent grounding condition from one or more plug wires.

As to the Fuel Pressure test, do a search for Fuel Pressure test in the Silverado, ( I think), forum. OLD MASTER has an excellent test procedure.

Iforget
03-15-2009, 01:10 PM
I tested the fuel pressure. When the key is turned on it reads around 40. I turn it off and leave it for 45 minutes and it drops to about 28. When the car is started it reads around 35 to 38. Gave it a full tune-up. Asfar as the symptoms go, for the most part it will idle fine. Every once in awhile the rpms will go nuts. It will even jump up to past 7 grand even tho the engine isnt. If I try to touch the gas it just bogs out and the rpms will go through the floor like its gonna die and if I keep giving it gas eventually it starts backfiring. When the problem first started it was just when it was cold. When I got it going it drove fine for the rest of the day. But its been gradually getting worse and now its to the point that the symptoms are there constantly.

Iforget
03-15-2009, 01:39 PM
okay sorry for the 2 posts but I found out something else. couple weeks ago my muffler blew out a huge hole. I thought I just hit something so i replaced it and now I just went out and looked at the new one and its swollen big time. Hopefully that narrows it down. thanks.

maxwedge
03-16-2009, 09:00 AM
With that pressure the engine must be port injected. Many things can cause your symptoms, a full scan is needed to look at sensor inputs to start with.

Add your comment to this topic!