Question on how to repair fuel line

keico
03-14-2009, 03:28 PM
1999 Chevy Astro Van 4.3 Liter 2 wheel drive

Ok here is the situation

I am in the process of replacing the fuel pump (Located in the fuel tank)

I am also replacing the fuel filter

The problem is the fittings were so rusted I can to cut the fuel lines to get the fuel filter out.

So I am left with two metal 5/16" fuel lines with no fittings

How do I fix this. Can I use a rubber hose in between.

Please help me

Also while dropping the tank the bolts that hold up straps broke the nuts that are welded in the frame. So now I had to cut the straps just to get the tank out.

So I am left with cut straps that are still attached

As for now I sent my wife to the store to get the special tool you need to remove the fuel lines from the fuel tank

Anyway I hops someone has some real good advice

ctwright
03-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Have you tried taking pliers and twisting back and forth to get the hose off or is it too late have you already cut the hose. Either way it's really no big deal, just take a section that you cut to advance auto pars or autozone and tell them you need a longer section and a couple of couplings and clamps to hook to the hose to the other hose on your vehicle.

Okay I just read that again it's a metal fuel line you had to cut, in that case just do the same thing just take it to the auto parts store and tell them you need a hose to match up with some clamps. Just tell them it's for a fuel line.

old_master
03-14-2009, 04:08 PM
The fuel lines at the filter are 3/8" here is a link for a repair kit, you'll need one for each end of the filter. Do not use rubber line. Most parts stores carry these kits and use the Dorman number 800-153.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=238635_0_0_&skuDescription=Dorman+/+Fuel+Line+Assembly&brandName=Dorman&displayName=Fuel+Line+Assembly&categoryNValue=14999999&sortType=&store=2117&isSearchByPartNumber=true&fromWhere=&fromString=search&itemId=prod11630&navValue=14901531&filterByKeyWord=800-153&productId=238635&appQuestionText=&searchText=800-153&categoryDisplayName=Fuel+Delivery&parentId=cat10007&questions=%5B%5D

keico
03-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Ok so after many months of using carb cleaner to start the car, It finally gave out in the McDonalds Drive Thru.

It just stalled and wouldn't start.

After towing it home, I couldn't hear the fuel pump engage at all.

So I dropped the tank, and rebuilt the pump. Low and behold she fired right up

As far as the the fuel filter, I cut the lines and used a fuel line repair kit, so i could install the the new filter.

I will say this much. This was no easy job. The bolts that the secure the fuel tank straps were rusted and would not bulge. Two of them would not budge. So I had to cut the straps.

Anyway I ordered new straps and am in the process now of cutting into the floor to install some new bolts.

Removing the fuel lines that run from the tank (Which are suppose to be quick connect) was very time consuming. There was a lot of rust buildup.

I am just happy there were no fuel leaks.

Anyway by tomorrow i will finally be finished and back on the road

old_master
03-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Rebuilt the pump???? You just replaced the pump motor? Did you replace the flex line from the pump to the module housing? Did you replace the in-tank fuel filter? Did you replace the fuel level sender too? What brand of pump did you use? Fuel delivery is crucial on this vehicle, and as you well know, due to the amount of work involved, it's not a job you'd want to do twice. An AC Delco or Delphi complete module is expensive, but you'll only do it once.

V8MeatHead
12-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Hi Keico, I currently have about the same problem as you. I'm replacing the fuel filter in addition to the fuel pump that blew. What a nightmare this job has been so far. First, I'd like to mention that if you have rust on any of those lines or bolts this job will most likely not take the 2hrs or half a day some guys have mentioned. Repairing this thing has been turning into a full-time job for the past week.(Busted strap bolts, fuel filter bolts/nuts wouldn't budge because of rust, impossible to get fuel lines back on pump) It's been a battle with every single bolt.

The last step now is trying to get the fuel filter sealed properly to the lines. It's spraying gas from the connections. I measured the inner diameter of the new filter and it's ten-thousandths bigger than stock meaning the O rings won't seat properly. We'll I'm going to have to cut the lines and use one of those repair kits posted earlier. These lines are a mess btw with all the rust. I'm about ready to drive this hunk of shit off of a cliff, that's if it doesn't fall apart before I get there.

Hopefully that fuel line repair kit helps! It'll be a life saver if it does.

btw The design of the fuel system is moronic and bordering retardation. I don't know what those GM engineers were thinking.

Add your comment to this topic!