Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'97 suburban fuel pump AGAIN!!!!

timmanem1
03-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Hello, everyone I'm back... This is now the fourth time I have dropped the tank, to replace the fuel pump... This last one lasted 8 months.... the best so far. The wires at the connector inside the tank are burned and melted... What could keep causing this?:uhoh:

ctwright
03-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Are you sure that you are using the correct fuel pump for your vehicle, sounds like it's trying to pull too many amps than the wire has the capacity to do so, which would cause the wires to get hot and melt stuff like you said. Or maybe also the electric motor in the pump itself wasn't bad, but stuck somehow, and trying to start the vehicle would cause the wires to get hot as well. Not sure exactly, would make me kind of scared to drive that thing again till I know for sure though, being that that's happening in your gas tank. My best advice would be since you have already went through this problem before and before I would take it to the dealer and explain to them what is going on so that it could be corrected. I definitely don't like the idea of things getting hot inside the gas tank.

MT-2500
03-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Hello, everyone I'm back... This is now the fourth time I have dropped the tank, to replace the fuel pump... This last one lasted 8 months.... the best so far. The wires at the connector inside the tank are burned and melted... What could keep causing this?:uhoh:

You need to quit using them cheap after market fuel pumps.

Get a good AC/Delphi pump and your problems will be gone.

2000CAYukon
03-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Also make sure the ground on the frame rail is clean and tight.

//2000CAYukon

Add your comment to this topic!