Perks of the job

CassiesMan
03-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Besides the free donuts and cookies at monthly team meetings, the Evil Empire does have some perks. Did it this morning down in the parking garage. Working on buying meself a road test, I just gotta figure out what our marketing guy likes better, hookers or blow. If he doesn't like either? Well, I may just steal the keys for my lunch break.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4PgkqxEWs

-The Stig-
03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
420hp ain't bad. I might have to step it up this winter... seeing as the G8 is a huge disappointment. Although... the Camaro is still a GM product as well... so I'm weary of the quality. :( Please GM, please make me something I can love. :(

Odd that they're doing the just a V6 option (RS and LT packages) and just the SS. No Z28? :(

Being a prior owner of a Z28 myself, I'm a bit fond of the heritage behind the badge. Although, a 4th Gen LS1 Z28 wasn't really any different from a V6 or SS optioned car suspension wise. So it wasn't the 'road racer' of the family like the original was with it's high winding 302 V8 and Trans-am based suspension. Still... one can pretend. Vroom :)

300hp V6 though, not bad for a 3.6L with Direct Injection and VVT. About time GM stepped up to the techno-motors the Euros and Imports have been using for some time. I enjoy the fact that the Base model V6 Camaro RS with 300hp will probably be close to if not on the heels of, a Base model Mustang GT. Even though the 2010 Mustang GT just got a bump in performance from 300hp to 315hp using the 2008 Mustang Bullitt performance package. Kinda funny in a way. Where the Ford Mustang GT will beat the V6 Camaro will be in torque, the Ford boasting 320lb-ft, and the Camaro a mere 270lb-ft.

I hate to spend a lot of attention on the V6 Camaro, but I think that's going to be a surpising little car despite it being only a lowly six cylinder. Plus it still looks awesome.

CassiesMan
03-13-2009, 11:38 AM
They only gave the SS the LS3? I would of expected the LS3 to be in say, the Z28 option.

420hp ain't bad though. I might have to step it up this winter... seeing as the G8 is a huge disappointment. Although... the Camaro is still a GM product as well... so I'm weary of the quality. :(

It didn't seem to share too much on the inside with the Suburban or Cavy, so it could be good. Its the long term quality that kills me. Everything is solid and well built for the first twenty minutes.

-The Stig-
03-13-2009, 11:43 AM
As you can see I revised my reply... but yeah. I'm not diggin the quality of GM right now. Step it up people!

CassiesMan
03-13-2009, 01:01 PM
As you can see I revised my reply... but yeah. I'm not diggin the quality of GM right now. Step it up people!

Saw that. The RS Package is just a body kit, you can get it on the V6 or the SS. And no one really knows why they are doing it that way around here. Doesn't make any sense. If you are gonna do it that way, the just badge the 1SS trim as the Z28 and make it lighter with a really well set up track suspension, and then make the 2SS trim level the SS with some more power but a few nicities on it. Ah well, marketing folks never make any sense.

VR43000GT
03-13-2009, 02:01 PM
420hp ain't bad. I might have to step it up this winter... seeing as the G8 is a huge disappointment. Although... the Camaro is still a GM product as well... so I'm weary of the quality. :( Please GM, please make me something I can love. :(

Odd that they're doing the just a V6 option (RS and LT packages) and just the SS. No Z28? :(

Being a prior owner of a Z28 myself, I'm a bit fond of the heritage behind the badge. Although, a 4th Gen LS1 Z28 wasn't really any different from a V6 or SS optioned car suspension wise. So it wasn't the 'road racer' of the family like the original was with it's high winding 302 V8 and Trans-am based suspension. Still... one can pretend. Vroom :)

300hp V6 though, not bad for a 3.6L with Direct Injection and VVT. About time GM stepped up to the techno-motors the Euros and Imports have been using for some time. I enjoy the fact that the Base model V6 Camaro RS with 300hp will probably be close to if not on the heels of, a Base model Mustang GT. Even though the 2010 Mustang GT just got a bump in performance from 300hp to 315hp using the 2008 Mustang Bullitt performance package. Kinda funny in a way. Where the Ford Mustang GT will beat the V6 Camaro will be in torque, the Ford boasting 320lb-ft, and the Camaro a mere 270lb-ft.

I hate to spend a lot of attention on the V6 Camaro, but I think that's going to be a surpising little car despite it being only a lowly six cylinder. Plus it still looks awesome.

I thought G8's actually had pretty nice interiors no? And since when have you been disappointed in the G8...I like em'! :D

My guess is that even with the 300hp motor the V6 Camaro will probably be a mid to high 14 second car due to weight, tires that won't hook up, and not a whole lot of torque (though not bad for a n/a V6).

jeepgclwj
03-13-2009, 03:24 PM
I thought G8's actually had pretty nice interiors no? And since when have you been disappointed in the G8...I like em'! :D

My guess is that even with the 300hp motor the V6 Camaro will probably be a mid to high 14 second car due to weight, tires that won't hook up, and not a whole lot of torque (though not bad for a n/a V6).

X2...I though they were bad ass myself... What gives?

GForce957
03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
I thought they were going to have a z28 model down the line :confused:

-The Stig-
03-13-2009, 09:04 PM

It's a comfortable car for long trips. Stable at high speeds, and by high speeds I mean anything over the 'century' mark on the speedo. I wish it got better fuel mileage though, to get anything respectable you really have to baby the throttle.

With the 6.0, it has Active Fuel Management (AFM) where it'll shut down 4 cylinders at anything over 40mph and light throttle inputs on the highway. Unfortunately, around town in all reality the time you spend above 40mph is very little and doesn't do you any good. So, you're driving around with 8 cylinders active, even when you're idling at a light. I don't understand why the engine can't idle on 4 cylinders and stay on 4 while you're putting around town under light throttle/low load conditions. A 4 cylinder displacing 3 liters should be enough to pull the car around.

That's just a general gripe about the car... nothing major.

What I don't like about the car is the low quality that is used to build it. My car has just under 3800 miles on it. Obviously, I don't drive it very much seeing as I bought it in June of 2008. There's paint chips in the rocker panel, they look like rocks might of hit the paint and chipped it off. But where they're located nothing could strike there because the door would cover it.. hard to describe but it looks like the paint just flaked off.

Also, on the steering wheel trim piece. There's a large piece roughly the size of a quarter where the paint has rubbed off exposing the plastic. It looks like it's got over 120,000 miles of use... I just noticed this the other day. Kind of pissed me off, less than 3800 miles and it's got 'wear n tear'.

I had to have a battery module replaced on the On-star system as well. Apparently, it wasn't communicating properly.

And now my biggest complaint to date about this G8 of mine. It's pulled to the left since day one. I've brought it in for alignment countless times now, they've checked it and say the Alignment is spot on. Mostly they didn't want to touch the car at first saying it needed to be broken in. Fine, whatever. I put miles on the car and still it never went away.

After a few trips of them having the car for the day, and getting it back and only to find it wasn't fixed I was very upset. I've come to the conclusion that the problem must be in the braking system. It feels like a caliper is gummed up and gets caught up and drags on the rotor causing it to pull to the left from time to time. I say this because sometimes it'll track straight like normal, but after a few stops in traffic it'll resume it's pull as if the caliper is hung up. I've mentioned this to the service managers at my dealership and they just look at me like I'm crazy. As if I don't know what I'm talking about. I also mentioned that when I apply the brakes, it pulls more to the left and only the left. In fact, if you're driving say 10-15mph in a flat parking lot and press the brake hard enough while not holding the steering wheel the wheel will turn to the left almost 90 degrees.

The service manager told me "this is normal, it's because of the performance tires grab the road differently". I laughed at that. I said "ok, that's fine... maybe it grabs the road but what about on a flat surface like a parking lot where your theory of uneven road surfaces goes out the window?". Idiots. I keep telling them my 2001 Chevy truck with over 150,000 miles on it still tracks straight, actually it does have a slight pull now but I just need to rotate the tires on it. A new car should not have this problem.

With experiences like mine, I can't help but realize why GM is in such financial troubles.

I haven't checked any other G8 forums on the web to see what people think of them, I think mine is a lemon. It's been a headache since almost the day I bought it.

VR43000GT
03-14-2009, 05:08 AM
^^That is actually a bit discouraging to me. I guess it goes to show first-hand experience is the best. I have always like the G8 and always thought that it looked like it had a sound structure to (unlike many past GM's). I sincerely hope your case is the exception and not the rule otherwise GM will go down for continuing their half-ass job of manufacturing vehicles.

-The Stig-
03-14-2009, 01:33 PM
I hope my car is an exception as well... I really do.

Although truth be told, I rarely see other G8's on the road... not sure if that's good or bad.

On the plus side, nobody knows what it is so they don't have a problem screwing around with me and get surprised. :D Or, they assume it's German and stay away from sporty looking sedans thinking it's from the M line or AMG family and possibly even the S's. They see sedan, flared fenders and big wheels and low profile tires and a young guy driving it... do the car math.

CivRacer95
03-15-2009, 03:41 AM
I can somewhat relate to what you mean be the quality GM has put into their vehicles. I'll use their trucks as an example.

My cousin owns a brand new Chevy Duramax Dually. I was told by him he bought it loaded...so as I hopped in, I took notice to the bland leather seats, cheap dash that made me instantly think of his 03 he had before it, and no style what so ever with the gauge cluster. The CD player and radio layout was beyond boring, and even the interior design made me wanna puke.

My only response to it was, "Atleast the outside looks descent." I myself was very disappointed with the whole appearance/layout/features. Nothing at all that made me say or think, "I want one."

Until recently, I hopped into a Ford F250 Super Duty. Never was a Ford guy, didn't appreciate their style, looks, or performance.

Well, it has changed and I've hopped on the Ford Truck band wagon (sadly). The interior layout and design had much effort put into. Although, some of it may have appeared tacky or cheap to some, it caught my eye. Chrome wrapped gauged clusters, painted interior panels, that "cool green" glow from the gauges themselves, mixed with red needles to make a perfect blend for the eyes to view. The stereo system looked very modern. Nice sunroof. The interior was also two-toned black with tan leather seats/carpet/dash. It was very well accented by black panels and stitching. Very clean, admirable and made me want one after riding around in one for nearly 3 hours.

I pretty much said, "Fuck Chevy's, I'd like to own a Ford like this."

Besides that, I was in line waiting to go through Customs, and just happened to roll up on a new Challenger. Ruby Red. Gorgeous. Sadly, a V6 model. But it was clean. Body lines were gorgeous. Everything just flowed in my eyes. I sat and drooled for about 15 minutes (pretty much the entire duration that I saw it).

I can only hope Chevy smartens the fuck up and starts to add some style into their vehicles. Or atleast go into partnership with some new company to fix up their vehicles. I don't know, but I just hate where Chevy is heading with their designs.

Add your comment to this topic!