Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

advice for selling a car

HeWhoKillz
03-12-2009, 04:47 AM
I am planning on selling a car. Its a 1993 Nissan Sentra, 2 door, 1.6. Now, I know nothing of selling cars, never done it before. The idea behind this car was simply to fix it up and make some money off of it. Any advice would be helpful, any at all, no matter what it is. My main concern is this. When someone calls me, or I set up a time to meet so they can see this car, they will probably be someone I don't know. I won't know them from Adam or Steve. (No I'm not gay!) Anyways, I'll be meeting with someone I have never met. A stranger! When we meet, I imagine I'll start going on about the car, what its like, how it handles and operates, the things that don't work on it and things like that. The guy might possibly be smiling...maybe smiling too much and maybe even say, "Sounds like a great car!" And asks to take it for a test drive. So I hand him the keys, or the keys are already in it and he says, "I'll just take it around the block." So he gets in a drives off and an hour later, he still hasn't returned!?!? I might be sitting there with his car there, but thats not going to help me get my car back. I've bought cars and test drove it, but people are so trusting or (or they have gps wired on them!)
I need as many tips as I can but I really would like to know the best way, if its possible, to avoid this from happening!

napa counterman
03-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Well first of all tell only a little bit about the car Let them ask questions, it makes them feel like they are in control and people love being in control. If there are problems, tell them about a couple minor things. Then it would look like you are hidding things, every car on the road has at least one problem big or small. As far as the not being back for an hour or longer, make sure there is only a gallon or two of gas in the car. Most people do not have gps in there car like that unless its a newer car. And if they leave their car there, you have their license plate number to call you car in stolenif they have been gone for a few hours. The average test drive takes 15-30 minutes maybe 45 depending on the area you are in. Just be calm and honest and let the customer do the talking, you will do great. Good luck selling your car

HeWhoKillz
03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Well first of all tell only a little bit about the car Let them ask questions, it makes them feel like they are in control and people love being in control. If there are problems, tell them about a couple minor things. Then it would look like you are hidding things, every car on the road has at least one problem big or small. As far as the not being back for an hour or longer, make sure there is only a gallon or two of gas in the car. Most people do not have gps in there car like that unless its a newer car. And if they leave their car there, you have their license plate number to call you car in stolenif they have been gone for a few hours. The average test drive takes 15-30 minutes maybe 45 depending on the area you are in. Just be calm and honest and let the customer do the talking, you will do great. Good luck selling your car

As far as problems the biggest problem it has is the engine burns alot of oil. The only down side is its a 5 speed. I don't mind it but when I called about it when I purchased it the guy said he had so much trouble trying to sell it because it was a 5 speed. *sad*

'97ventureowner
03-12-2009, 12:02 PM
This really is in the wrong forum for the most exposure and responses. I am moving this to Car Buying Q&A. There are a lot of good members who frequent that forum nd can give you more insight into your queries.

Ray paulsen
03-12-2009, 04:12 PM
You don't hand the keys over before your sitting in the passenger seat, your going along for the ride, it's your car and your rules. Just make sure his name is not Adam or Steve.

Autotropolis12
03-13-2009, 02:21 AM
The Japanese manufacturers are renowned for their subcompact cars -- Honda for its Civic, Toyota for its Tercel and Corolla. Nissan's entry in this niche is the Sentra which for fifteen years has been built in America.
The Sentra manufactured between 1991 and 1994 is somewhat spartan compared to the current model. Indeed, today's Sentra, introduced in 1995, is regarded as one of the better subcompact cars on the market and it offers a lot of refinement at a relatively low price. The Sentra proves that thinking beyond Toyota and Honda can pay off handsomely when searching for a pre-owned Japanese car.
A note on prices: Nissan has become the underdog of the big three Japanese companies in the U.S. during the past few years. With big debt at home and shrinking sales in the U.S., Nissan hasn't been attracting new-car buyers to its products as much as Honda or Toyota.
Because of this Nissan has tended to sell more cars to car rental companies than Honda or Toyota. This can be a major benefit for somebody looking for a pre-owned car as there should be a larger supply of low-mileage cars on the market. Most cars coming from the major rental fleets are in good condition so there is little problem in purchasing one of these cars.
Whether a rental or a privately owned car, a used Sentra should prove reliably and useful over its long life.

Ray paulsen
03-13-2009, 10:19 AM
The Japanese manufacturers are renowned for their subcompact cars -- Honda for its Civic, Toyota for its Tercel and Corolla. Nissan's entry in this niche is the Sentra which for fifteen years has been built in America.
The Sentra manufactured between 1991 and 1994 is somewhat spartan compared to the current model. Indeed, today's Sentra, introduced in 1995, is regarded as one of the better subcompact cars on the market and it offers a lot of refinement at a relatively low price. The Sentra proves that thinking beyond Toyota and Honda can pay off handsomely when searching for a pre-owned Japanese car.
A note on prices: Nissan has become the underdog of the big three Japanese companies in the U.S. during the past few years. With big debt at home and shrinking sales in the U.S., Nissan hasn't been attracting new-car buyers to its products as much as Honda or Toyota.
Because of this Nissan has tended to sell more cars to car rental companies than Honda or Toyota. This can be a major benefit for somebody looking for a pre-owned car as there should be a larger supply of low-mileage cars on the market. Most cars coming from the major rental fleets are in good condition so there is little problem in purchasing one of these cars.
Whether a rental or a privately owned car, a used Sentra should prove reliably and useful over its long life.

Thanks for the history lesson, but where does your post connect to the question ?

Add your comment to this topic!