95 4runner timing belt...oil pressure?

fletch1024
03-11-2009, 11:12 PM
I have a 95, V6, 132K miles...long story short I just got it back after having the timing belt replaced.

I noticed two things:

1) Sulfur smell from exhaust. I understand many Toyota's have this issue, but I've never had it in this truck.

2) Very low oil pressure. Before the belt change, oil pressure was what I would consider normal. Idle was about 1/2 on the guage, acceleration up to 3/4 then down a bit. Now it's at 1/8 at idle and up to about 1/4 on acceleration. Oil quantity is good, 10W40.

So, my question...is there any chance the timing belt and low oil pressure are related?

Thanks in advance.

Brian R.
03-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Any other work done simultaneously with the timing belt replace? (any other parts replaced or independent maintenance done?)
What caused you to change the timing belt?

fletch1024
03-12-2009, 02:08 AM
Truck just died while driving. Troubleshot it down to no spark. Took it to the shop and had them do the $50 diagnostic. They said belt was bad. Acutally had it swapped about 30 days ago, and it died again (Monday). Had it towed straight to the shop since they touched it last. Got it back today and was told they had no idea what caused the belt to go the second time (in 30 days). Now the exhaust smells funny and oil pressure is low.:confused:

Brian R.
03-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I think the sulfur smell is related to your timing belt replacement or low oil pressure. I have never heard of a '95 having a sulfur smell, but that doesn't make it impossible to be a normal thing. I am having a hard time understanding how the oil pressure can be lower than normal from a timing belt change.

The short timing belt life may be due to not replacing a weak tensioner, or installing the belt guide backwards (if that is possible), or contaminating with oil or antifreeze, or otherwise mistreating the new belt .

Check and keep an eye on your oil level and appearance. Check your antifreeze appearance to make sure they do not become contaminated by a small leak in the head gasket. Any new oil leaks near the front of the engine? Check compression.

Actually measure the oil pressure with an external gauge and find out if it is within specs (4.3 psi or greater at idle and 36-75 psi at 3000 rpm). You may need a new oil pump or maybe you have a stuck pressure relief valve. If the measured oil pressure is normal, your gauge or sending unit may be the problem.

I would take it to another shop and ask them for their opinion if there is nothing otherwise out of the ordinary.

Add your comment to this topic!