Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Spray from can or spray gun?

Chain
03-26-2003, 09:04 PM
I have both the gloss finish super clear coat in spray can and in bottle form.

Was wondering, if you have a choice:

1)Would you use your spraygun instead of the spraycan to finish your job?
And why?
2)Will the spraygun give a finer finish as opposed to the spraycan?

3)Is it ok to use the gloss from the bottle without adding anything like thinners to it?

Ragnarok043
03-26-2003, 11:34 PM
id go with the spray, it should atomize the paint much better than a spray can. if you dont thin it properly it will spit the paint leaving a grainy finish.

exhaust smoke
03-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Personally I use automotive/Tamiya spray cans. This is because I match the same make clear to the paint and primer.

Also it's because I have not used an airbrush long enough to be good at it:hehehe:

For those who are well versed in the use of an airbrush, you have a better control over the flow of paint, etc.

Chain
03-27-2003, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys.

My 1st Project with the SUB, I didnt spray any gloss coat at all.
With my 2nd project, I definitely want to gloss coat my merc after putting the decals on. So I just want to make it right and wanna make sure that I look at other angles to get the job done right too.

freakray
03-27-2003, 06:34 PM
By spray gun, do you mean an airbrush?

Depending on the make of clear coat, whichever is the better make I would use, like if it was a spray can of Tamiya clear, that is the one I would choose. If not, whichever is better.

Before you go clear coating over decals, you may want to make certain your clear coat is compatable with the decals, as some clear coats will attack the decals and damage them.

Chain
03-27-2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by freakray
By spray gun, do you mean an airbrush?

Depending on the make of clear coat, whichever is the better make I would use, like if it was a spray can of Tamiya clear, that is the one I would choose. If not, whichever is better.

Before you go clear coating over decals, you may want to make certain your clear coat is compatable with the decals, as some clear coats will attack the decals and damage them.

Oops my bad, its airbrush if described in modeling terms for a better understanding :D

Well, both are by Gunze Mr Hobby (I'm in the office right now so I cant double check) The bottled gloss is definitely by Mr Hobby but the spray can hmmm, not sure. I'll check later.

I guess the only way is the hard way and try both gloss and see how the effects are.

Thanks freakray.

Add your comment to this topic!