Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engin Coil problems...HELP ME PLEASE

bcaffey
03-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I have a 2004 LS V6 and it had no problems for 100K miles...then it started,,I was on a long trip and noticed power loss when I started up grades or gave it too much pedal...the engine light came on intermittently but disappeared after I backed off the pedal...I limped home and took it to a Certified mechanic who put it on a machine that said i had a cylinder misfire...he replace a coil and it ran perfect again for 2 months...then the same thing started again....this time the wrench light came on and it went into protection mode which allowed me to crawl back home at 5 MPH...when I turned it off...I restarted it and everything was fine...I took it back to the shop...this time they said it was a different coil (fortunately one on top...easy to replace) it ran fine for 2 days...then the same thing...I have no idea (nor does he) what is wrong with this thing....I am driving it still....it runs perfect for a while then goes to 5 cyl .... if I baby it it stops but sometimes the wrench light comes on...I stop, kill the engine and restart...everyhtings fine....I'm pulling my hair out and need a solution...anyone?????? By the way...no oil present on the coil(s) but intermittenly I smell burnt oil in the car....but it goes away too...perplexing.

danielsatur
03-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Please use Search tool!
Search this Forum ''Bad coils''
There's alot of good Info,that you might want to digest.

Good News!
A Lincoln LS 2004 shouldn't have a problem with oil or water shorting out coils.
I buy my Coil replacments on EBAY!
LIFETIME warranty for $44.00

I like to see a consistant Misfire,Not Random!

A consistant Misfire could be a Plug,coil,or injector.
Random misfire - Dirty Throttle body,or BAD MAF sensor.

Try routine Maintenance!
1) Clean Air Box,MAF sensor,and Throttle Body 1st.
2) New Iridium plugs,because of Age + mileage.
3) Visual inspect Spark plug boots on coils for rust or oil!
4) Have Battery checked + tested.

Mcgiver

shorod
03-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Get the codes read again, see if it's ever the same coil multiple times. Also, if you're paying your mechanic each time he reads the codes, you may want to consider checking your local auto parts stores. Many will read the codes at no charge. The tricky part is sometimes getting them to give you the actual code number rather than their interpretation of the code.

-Rod

bcaffey
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Get the codes read again, see if it's ever the same coil multiple times. Also, if you're paying your mechanic each time he reads the codes, you may want to consider checking your local auto parts stores. Many will read the codes at no charge. The tricky part is sometimes getting them to give you the actual code number rather than their interpretation of the code.

-Rod

The first time it was the top coil closest to the drivers seat.....the last one was the next to it on top...bad thing is that is intermittent...I drove it all deay today and as long as I dont stop it or accelerate quickly from a stop...it runs just fine....when I keep it out of 5th gear and just run it in 4th...as soon as I put it in 5th and the rpms drom...it starts running on 5 cyl again and eventually goes into failsafe mode....bizzarre...

bcaffey
03-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Please use Search tool!
Search this Forum ''Bad coils''
There's alot of good Info,that you might want to digest.

Good News!
A Lincoln LS 2004 shouldn't have a problem with oil or water shorting out coils.
I buy my Coil replacments on EBAY!
LIFETIME warranty for $44.00

I like to see a consistant Misfire,Not Random!

A consistant Misfire could be a Plug,coil,or injector.
Random misfire - Dirty Throttle body,or BAD MAF sensor.

Try routine Maintenance!
1) Clean Air Box,MAF sensor,and Throttle Body 1st.
2) New Iridium plugs,because of Age + mileage.
3) Visual inspect Spark plug boots on coils for rust or oil!
4) Have Battery checked + tested.

Mcgiver

Prblem is that the mechanic read the codes which said Cyl 1 or 3 is misfiring...so they replace the coil and it runs fine...for a month or two then it starts all over again....thanks for the reply

shorod
03-12-2009, 06:27 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by the coils "on top."

Also, cylinders 1 and 3 would be on the passenger side, underneath the intake manifold. Cylinder #1 would be the cylinder nearest the belts on that side, #3 is nearest the firewall. Cylinder #6 would be the one nearest the driver's seat. Maybe they are not replacing the correct coils, or maybe the issue is with the fuel injectors as danielsatur commented.

-Rod

bcaffey
03-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by the coils "on top."

Also, cylinders 1 and 3 would be on the passenger side, underneath the intake manifold. Cylinder #1 would be the cylinder nearest the belts on that side, #3 is nearest the firewall. Cylinder #6 would be the one nearest the driver's seat. Maybe they are not replacing the correct coils, or maybe the issue is with the fuel injectors as danielsatur commented.

-Rod

Well maybe they don't know where they are....but when they replace them it fixes the problem....perhaps I need to go to a parts store and get a second code reading opinion...what about the battery issue? Would and aged or bad battery contribute to the problem?

danielsatur
03-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Some Shops like to Troubleshoot + Practice at the customers expense,
this canbe very expensive for Lincoln service.

Excuse! - The Computer says Replace part!

Call around for a in the car Throttle body + MAF sensor cleaning.

If this electronic throttle plate is dirty + stickey!
The Engine will stumble,trip,choke,and cause misfiring when you put the pedal to Metal!

* Always keep suspected bad part until the problem is resolved.

MCGIVER

bcaffey
03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Some Shops like to Troubleshoot + Practice at the customers expense,
this canbe very expensive for Lincoln service.

Excuse! - The Computer says Replace part!

Call around for a in the car Throttle body + MAF sensor cleaning.

If this electronic throttle plate is dirty + stickey!
The Engine will stumble,trip,choke,and cause misfiring when you put the pedal to Metal!

* Always keep suspected bad part until the problem is resolved.

MCGIVER

Thanks...but why would it run perfectly for a month or 2 when they replace the coil...and not clean or change the throttle body or MA sensor?

shorod
03-12-2009, 07:32 PM
It would be nice to know the exact code numbers. Ford has a TSB for the Coil on Plug with the proper steps to diagnose. They claim some large percentage of the replaced coils are not actually bad but mis-diagnosed. Granted that wouldn't necessarily explain why the new coils would seem to make the problem go away for some number of weeks. It's often recommended to replace all the coils at once, which is why I asked if you've ever had to replace the same coil more than once.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!