Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2004 TDI Passat Shudder on Acceleration

scoteric
03-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I purchased a used 2004 Passat TDI and drove it 1250 miles. The problem started about 300 miles into the trip. I would try and accelerate quickly and it would hesitate and shudder. When I let up on the throttle it would accelerate without the shudder. I thought maybe it was the fuel filter and added some condtioner to it, but this did not seem to help. The car ran smooth at 73 mph and I did notice a shudder once and while when climbing hills. The car has 56000 miles on it and I am not sure what mainenance has been done to it. Does the transmission need to be replaced?

Franco2112
03-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Try changing the fluid and filter. I know you may not like to hear this but, it's best to have it serviced at the dealership. VW uses their own transmission fluid and any other fluid may just ruin the transmission, when there might not be a problem other than just a cleaning. Hope this helps!
Franco

scoteric
03-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Thank you for the reply. I talked to my neighbor who is a mechanic and had a class on the 2.0 TDI engine. He checked all the service manuals and thinks that the computer needs to be reprogrammed. He is not able to do this where he works, so off to the dealer I go. I hope it is not too painful of a trip.

scoteric
12-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Update:
There was a recall on the injector pump programing, the dealer adjusted the injector pump and it ran fine for several days and then the shudder was back. I changed the fuel filter and it has been running great ever since.

veedubmechanic
12-29-2009, 06:53 PM
I was going to say, any time you have a driveability issue with a diesel and no check enging light the fuel filter is usually the culprit or the egr is clogged

Add your comment to this topic!