Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Supra slight tick or knnock

finalturismo
03-08-2009, 10:08 PM
OK i just bought a 1987 Toyota supra turbo (awesome car)
it has a very odd problem

1. IT has a slight tick or knock coming from the head (very slight could be lifters, i personally dont think it should be a problem yet or is one at all)

2. It stutters, when you floor it, random increments of power.

3. Has been diagnosed and throws of the knock sensor code

4. slightly overheats- but does not show on temp gague (mainly when in boost)
spits out water too, and thermostat has been removed

my question to you guys is, why is it stuttering? and how can i fix this and could the overheating be caused by the timing being off a notch. (i hear turbo cars are sensitive to timing) i bought it for 1,200 and sold my pos cavalier for 700, i need to use it to get to work for the next week, but should have at least 1000 to spead on it, by next week (what should i do with the money to get this beast running , put your self in my shoes

i can avoid overheating by staying out of boost mainly, if it does get hot, its nothing major , just a minor boil or water movement in system.

anyway plz help i wana turn this thing into a beast

gelcol
07-12-2009, 10:30 AM
OK i just bought a 1987 Toyota supra turbo (awesome car)
it has a very odd problem

1. IT has a slight tick or knock coming from the head (very slight could be lifters, i personally dont think it should be a problem yet or is one at all)

2. It stutters, when you floor it, random increments of power.

3. Has been diagnosed and throws of the knock sensor code

4. slightly overheats- but does not show on temp gague (mainly when in boost)
spits out water too, and thermostat has been removed

my question to you guys is, why is it stuttering? and how can i fix this and could the overheating be caused by the timing being off a notch. (i hear turbo cars are sensitive to timing) i bought it for 1,200 and sold my pos cavalier for 700, i need to use it to get to work for the next week, but should have at least 1000 to spead on it, by next week (what should i do with the money to get this beast running , put your self in my shoes

i can avoid overheating by staying out of boost mainly, if it does get hot, its nothing major , just a minor boil or water movement in system.

anyway plz help i wana turn this thing into a beast

1st check the noise by the stetoscope.
2nd check the plastic valve connected to the heater.

pepper38341
07-23-2009, 03:27 PM
:wink: If it spits water back out the rad.cap i would be checking the head gasket. It sounds 2 me like the gasket is blowed and it's blowing compression back into the water jacket.

Add your comment to this topic!