blower motor

kvn4
03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
i just installed a new blower motor in a 2000 sportage my problem is it only works on high no others, what should i be looking for or test any help will be appreciated k

kianut
03-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Blowers typically operate at "high" speed on (direct) voltage (12.5 to 14.2). Lower speeds are shunted through a series of wire resistors which reduce voltage in steps, and thus blower speed. Look for a widget mounted to the blower air box (as these are usually wire coil resistors, and thus are cooled by air flow) that will have 3 to 4 wires attached. It's usually a small plate about the size of a match-book cover. Check if you have voltage getting to these terminals (note: one will be OUT to the blower). If no voltage is present at any of the terminals at any speed setting, look upstream at the switch or wiring. If voltage is present, remove the resistor widget, and inspect for an open resistor coil, or ring out with an ohm meter for continuity.

kvn4
03-08-2009, 01:59 PM
i did find a small part that has aluminum wedges near the motor could this be it held by 2 screws when out thats were i have part described

kianut
03-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I have a 98 through 2001 Sportage service manual that I'm looking in. I suspect I really need the electrical manual which I don't have, however, page 62-8 shows the blower assembly in the plenum, with what looks to be an electrical harness running from the motor toward the cabin space and toward the left. It shows an electrical connector plugged UP onto what I believe is our resistor widget.
Here is what the book says for troubleshooting " blower motor only operates on HI setting":

1) Open circuit in motor (check for): 1. Disconnect blower motor wire harness. Result A) No continuity- Replace blower motor
Result B) Continuity- Go to check 2

2) Open circuit in blower control switch (check for):
1. Disconnect blower control switch harness.
Result A) No continuity- Replace blower switch
2. Turn switch to low.
Continuity? Replace harness
3. Check continuity between (B) and (G/W) terminals.
[It gives no instruction for your findings for this test]
[ I'm guessing that our widget is included as part of "harness assembly]

In test one I'm assuming they are making the test on THE MOTOR.
In Test two I'm assuming they are testing the switch itself, therefore if the motor tests good, and the switch tests good, it has to be "harness".
If you have a wrecking yard nearby that has a Sportage, I'd try the resistor assembly rather than buying "harness assembly". Changing the widget will be a lot easier than a whole harness!
Hope this helps.

kvn4
03-09-2009, 06:19 AM
looked at az web sight and the resistor looks like the one i described. i did notice the even with the resistor unpluged the motor still works on high. today is raining so next dry warmish day ill test both and let you know

Add your comment to this topic!