Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing belt broken on 98 Avalon

nomiezvr4
03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey guys, the timing belt just broke on my 98 Avalon. I was wondering if I need a new motor or is this a non interference motor where I can just slap on a new timing belt? Please let me know, thanks.

Brian R.
03-08-2009, 03:34 PM
According to Gates, you have an interference engine. Depending on the conditions under which it broke, you may or may not have substantial engine damage. I would be worried if I heard a loud BANG when it broke.

whopperdad
03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
How many miles did you have on it when it broke.

rhandwor
03-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Some companies import engines from Japan stated around 60,000 miles.
I have used New York Block when I had a garage. I was pleased with the engines but you have to change the intake. A man who used to work for me still uses them. They give some warranty but I forget how much.

whopperdad
04-01-2009, 08:28 PM
This is a non interference engine and you should be able to time everything back up aligning timing marks, install new belt and be back up and running. Hope it works out well for you . Also would like to know mileage when belt snapped.:cool:

Brian R.
04-08-2009, 08:54 PM
As I said above, Gates lists it as an interference engine. Here is a link to the current Gates listing. '98 and newer are interference.

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=428-1466_web.pdf&folder=brochure

rhandwor
04-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Interference just means it will bang the valves. I did a 6 cyl Volvo engine a couple of years ago and every valve was bent a valve job, new valves,pressure test,head shaved,was appx. $600.00 so if you do the work your self it may be cheaper than a new engine. High mileage buy either a good used one or rebuilt. This was a straight six not a V-6 and the engine had been rebuilt before but a cracked mount shifted belt position and the belt jumped and got under the timing belt.

nomiezvr4
04-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Oh well guess I will have to open it up and throw a belt on there to find out for sure, thanks.

Cressidaadr
04-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Oh well guess I will have to open it up and throw a belt on there to find out for sure, thanks.

Why did you ignore the two request for how many miles on the belt that broke? Maybe the third time is the charm. :runaround:

How many miles on the belt?

Add your comment to this topic!