Page updated on 11-23-2017

97 tahoe running rough,surging service eng. lt. on

badger3x
03-07-2009, 11:13 AM
My 97 tahoe has a severe miss\surge from just off idle up .It has 2 trouble codes p1115 and p0118.Also sometimes it will spin over but not start with the first turn of the key but starts after turning the key off then on again.Could these problems be related?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MT-2500
03-07-2009, 12:10 PM
My 97 tahoe has a severe miss\surge from just off idle up .It has 2 trouble codes p1115 and p0118.Also sometimes it will spin over but not start with the first turn of the key but starts after turning the key off then on again.Could these problems be related?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes.
Repair engine PCM coolant sensor problem.
Have you got a scanner to read out PCM/VCM coolant tempt reading?

badger3x
03-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Sorry i dont have a scanner that will read temperatures just one that retrieves codes.Will the standard temp gauge work?The engine normally runs around 170 degrees. Is that to cool?I know this is difficult to repair without scan tool.Do you think a faulty PCM coolant sensor could cause this problem?

MT-2500
03-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Sorry i dont have a scanner that will read temperatures just one that retrieves codes.Will the standard temp gauge work?The engine normally runs around 170 degrees. Is that to cool?I know this is difficult to repair without scan tool.Do you think a faulty PCM coolant sensor could cause this problem?

Engine tempt should get to 195.
Is the stat good?
Check actual engine tempt to gauge reading.
You might repair that first.
To do a good repair you need a scanner to read out engine running tempt and also engine to pcm tempt readings.

badger3x
03-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Tested pcm temp sensor with ohm meter hot and cold as per service manual.It tested bad so I replaced it and put a new thermostat in to be sure it was working correctly.Seemed to fix the problem.Thanks for all the help.

MT-2500
03-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Tested pcm temp sensor with ohm meter hot and cold as per service manual.It tested bad so I replaced it and put a new thermostat in to be sure it was working correctly.Seemed to fix the problem.Thanks for all the help.

You are welcome.
Clear codes and make sure none comes back.
Good Luck

Add your comment to this topic!