Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Running out of ideas, 95 Rodeo

driverodeo
03-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey, I have a 95 Rodeo, 3.2 v6, 4x4, that will not pass emissions in Utah. I am over 1,000 over on hydrocarbons and 0.20 on carbon monoxide. So far I have replaced plugs, wires, pcv valve, air filter and am going to replace the fuel pressure regulator tomorrow. I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic they checked compression, injectors, cat conv. they said they saw the FPR leaking but I have yet to see this. Seems like everything I try is'nt having any effect. Any suggestions woud be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cat Fuzz
03-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Has the car ever passed since you've owned it? If this is your first time through with this vehicle, a previous owner may have hollowed out the catalytic converter.

Being over 1000 PPM on HC is huge. A bad FPR could be causing this. If the FPR goes bad, the fuel system will over-pressurize and extra fuel will be sucked into the engine through the vacuum line. I have a feeling this isn't your only problem, though. Are you getting a check engine light?

driverodeo
03-07-2009, 12:40 AM
No check engine light, the vehicle passed four months before i bought it. I have the papers. though emissions test is only good for 60 days so I had to test again. catalytic converter is new as far as I'm told and looks new from the outside. I think I'll call for the receipt in the morning. This is crazy:banghead:
thanks for the reply btw

CL8
03-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Get rid of the emissions standards, oops no, I mean the vehicle!:iceslolan

driverodeo
03-08-2009, 11:02 AM
New FPR in, not the problem.

Cat Fuzz
03-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Just to be clear: You are 1000ppm OVER the limit on hydrocarbons? The exhaust should smell really gassy. That's just a huge number and I'm a little baffled by it. I had a car that was only over by about 100ppm and it smelled nasty.

How do they do emissions in your state? Are they state run inspection stations or are repair shops contracted to do the testing like in California?

If your exhaust doesn't smell really gassy, I suspect something is weird here. Like bad test equipment or something.

driverodeo
03-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Yesterday I was 800 over the standard on HC idle part of the test, I passed on high speed, though i ran denatured alcohol. The denatured alcohol helped alot in decreasing numbers, if I was anywhere close to begin with I would of passed with the alcohol. The testing is done by places like Midas, Jiffy lube, anywhere that's authorized by the state. Yes the exhaust is pretty strong smelling, but no smoke.

driverodeo
03-11-2009, 08:24 PM
I found out I can get a waiver to at least get my plates. I have to show proof of $200.00 worth of emission related replaced items. I'm at about $130.00 or so, any suggestions on some emission related parts I can buy and install. I don't mind buying the items but I hate the idea of buying and replacing a perfectly good part I already have on the vehicle. Are there any parts considered emission related that might have another performance benefit? Kinda tryin to kill two birds with one stone. Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!