Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

02 Code 0440

midrange
03-05-2009, 05:41 PM
My car always pulls up code 0440 when i remove the gas cap then replace it.
The guy who sold me the car says its a reg issue with them and not to worry.
Well, easy for him to say. I hate seeing my check engine light on and it seems when the light comes on, my gas seems to go twice as fast. He just keeps erasing my code for the light to go off. Then runs fine till i remove the gas cap.

0440 just says its something to do with emission control and thats all i get.

Anyone know why it happens every time i remove my gas cap. There has to be a reason then just a reg issue with cavaliers because other people don't have their check engine light come on every time they remove there gas cap.

Thanks.

Classicrocjunkie
03-05-2009, 06:53 PM
DTC P0440 ( Evap Emissions Control Leak (small))

You have a leak somewhere. It doesn't just come on for no reason, and while yes its a common problem with all cars during the winter, it shouldn't be on. Guy is just dodging to have to fix it. The light will always keep coming back on like every 100-150 miles or so. Maybe less. This will rob you of some gas mileage as well.

Needs to get put a smoke machine which will show where the leak is coming from. Gas cap is usually the culprit for this code, but could also be something more serious.

I have a DTC P0445 myself which is a large leak. Still haven't found it yet either.

midrange
03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
well i confronted the guy, so hes starting at step one.. hes going to replace the gas cap and see if that fixes it.
Something tells me it won't. The car was just etested 2 weeks ago and the gas cap passed the pressure test thing they do. Also the gas cap seems to do its trick until you remove it then replace it.. So i think th e gas cap isn't the problem.. ANy idea what it would be the next step.

I'm totally confused of the whole situation. I don't smell gas, nons leaking. is there a evap line somewhere i can check..

Classicrocjunkie
03-07-2009, 05:51 PM
You won't smell gas. Its a re-circulatory system to burn any gas fumes or crap of that nature. There are 3-metal hard lines which run up into your engine bay from the fuel tank. Fuel pressurized line, fuel return and the EVAP line. Fuel lines are 3/8ths and the EVAP should be the small of the 2. The problem shouldn't be with the hard steel line, but rather the hard plastic lines coming off that. Check the connections and hoses on that system. There is a purge solenoid up there somewhere in between the intake manifold and steel hard lines. Same in the rear of the car before the EVAP Charcoal Canister.

Add your comment to this topic!