Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

turn signal problem

jsdup1
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi everyone I have a 2001 alero just today my turn signals start acting up. When I put my signals on they work good as far as the signal light's working but when I turn them off the lights go off but the clicking keeps clicking click click but the lights don't go on just click click then it stops till I use the turn signal again. any help Thank you Joe

BNaylor
03-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Welcome to AF.

This is a common problem. We had the same issue with our Alero. You either replace the multifunction switch (MFS - stalk) or you can remove it and clean it up getting as much of the old electrical contact lube out as possible at the back part. Then add some new dielectric silicone grease and put it all back together. See pic.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/lizzywiz/alero_mfs.jpg

jsdup1
03-06-2009, 08:49 AM
BNaylor thank you for your help with the switch.I'am going to clean it tomorrow and see what happens thank again jsdup1

BNaylor
03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Sounds good. Just a heads up but when you remove and install the multifunction switch watch that spring loaded contact at the front of the switch which contacts the clock spring assembly. That is used for the horn. During install make sure you push the spring loaded contact in and it fits flush on against the surface of the clock spring before securing the switch and bolting down or you may damage the clock spring and have no horn. Good luck!

jsdup1
03-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi BNaylorI just got done cleaning the muiltfunction switch there was alot of grease eveywhere I used contact cleaner it work great.I put it back in and it works great.
clicking all gone and everything works thank you for your help you saved me couple hundred dollars. thanks again Joe

BNaylor
03-07-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback and participating in the forum. Yeah after pricing the MFS switch you find out this is the better and cheaper route.

MrCheapGuy
06-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Thank you for this information. Same problem, same car (Alero). Much appreciated.

Thanks for your help. We were able to get the one out of this 2004 Alero without any issues. The only thing I would add is that you actually have to take the switch apart by removing the 8 or so T10 torx screws. Inside the switch is where the contacts and grease needs to be cleaned up and replaced. Also be careful not to lose the spring that pops up at you when you remove the top. I just cleaned the outside the first time and obviously that didn't solve the problem. Took me all of 5 minutes to get it out the second time. 10 minutes to clean and replace the grease from the inside of the switch...and maybe 5 to get it back in. WORKS GREAT!! I think that this steps was probably obvious to some...not to me i guess. Definitely not complaining tho... Thank you guys soooooooo much.

Add your comment to this topic!