Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

dual point excel to electronic ignition swap

phelan34
03-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Greetings.
I am looking into swapping out an Excel Dual Point ignition for an electronic ignition. Has anyone done this, and what is a good choice of distributor to make the swap.
350, .030 over, 650 holley DBL pump, mechanical fuel pump, hydraulic lifters, medium cam, 4 speed.
I would really appreciate any input on what the right direction would be.
Thanks, Tim

MrPbody
03-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Tim,

Accell distributors are better replaced, you're right...

Factory HEI is excellent for engines that don't rev past 6,200 RPM. With the hydraulic cam, I would go that route. There are several good HEI suppliers around. Do a search on "HEI" or "High Energy Ignition".

Aside from that, MSD is the best out there today.

Jim

phelan34
03-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Jim, Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it..
Tim

novaboy22
06-27-2009, 07:20 PM
only issue i had putting an hei into my 72 was clearence, the cap is really fat and the firewall gets in the way. just "massage" it a little:evillol: and your good. but its really easy, one positive wire and a tach wire and your good to go make sure the positive is getting 12volts though or it wont run.

Dennis321
03-02-2010, 07:59 PM
I woudl go with a stock HEI distributor if you're working with a budget, as I think most people these days are. As far as the clearance, you can "massage" the firewall as mentionedabove, however that can make for an ugly looking firewall. What I did to get past the clearance issue was a little more involved, but after breaking several caps when really getting on the car and making the ugly move of beating the hell out of it with a hammer I came up with somethign better. I actually cut a section of the firewall out right behind the distributor. I then replaced the cut out section with a curved piece of sheet metal. It looks a lot nicer and is a little custom move that you won't see under every hood you open. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!