Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ES300 Trunk won't open!

Dope98Lex
03-03-2009, 12:09 AM
I have a 1998 Lexus ES300 and I got into my trunk about 3 days ago fine. I use the button inside because i don't have the key for the trunk or the clicker thingy thing. But any who, Yesterday I went to pop the trunk and it just clicks when i press the button. Yes i checked the button in the glove compartment. Today I tried to get in and same thing, just click and wont open. What could it be?:banghead:

jdmccright
03-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I could be mistaken, but there is only one key that works the ignition and locks. There is no separate trunk key.

Replacement key fobs "the remote clicker thingy" can be bought and reprogrammed, but you need the ignition key to perform this procedure...see the sticky at the top of the forum on how to reprogram key fobs.

If you can hear the little solenoid "thump" when you press the button but it doesn't open, if may be that the trunk latch needs to be lubricated or hasn't been closed fully the last time...a light push down on the trunk lid may be all that is needed to fully close it and reset the latch mechanism. Despite common thought, slamming the trunk is rarely needed and usually subjects the electrical parts to higher stress, causing them to fail early.

If the solenoid doesn't "thump", then there is break in the wire to it or to the body ground. The wire loom that goes to the trunk lid can eventually fail from fatigue. Sometimes the integral backup/park lights will fail or go haywire as circuits are crossed from broken wires.

Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!