Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Plasticote Vs Other primer..

Integra14
03-26-2003, 10:19 AM
anyone ever use plasticote primer, I am, but im just wondering if theres easier stuff.... Right now, since the primer is like 4/5 gone, its starting to get runnny kind of, and u have to shake it WAY more for it to come out smooth..... somtimes it drips out.... hmmmmmm

how much better is Tamiya?? which kind shojld i get Taimya white L?500yen i think???/

or does anyone know wahts wrong?

ps: i received my stealth model in the mail... so i'll show some progress in a couple days

JDM Evo7
03-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Tamiya grey primer is very rough. The white primer is better, but also does not cover very well. I like Mr Surfacer 1000 from Gunze Sangyo. it's still grey, but a very light shade of grey and it is very smooth. I never have to sand down Surfacer 1000. But it's pricey, about 8 dollars for a large can.

daggerlee
03-26-2003, 11:32 AM
Sounds like you have more solvent in the can than paint. Time to toss it. Tamiya white primer is smoother than their grey primer, I personally find it to be very good. Get the biggest can you can, since shipping will only be marginally more. I usually save the good stuff (Tamiya white, Gunze 1000) for car bodies and use cheap stuff like Plastikoe for the rest.

integra818
03-26-2003, 12:09 PM
I used a primer called "spruce" and it came out sandy, it was'nt just the can, I had 3 cans, they were both the same results. I baught it for $2 a can :p

themodelkid
03-26-2003, 01:58 PM
I use this really cheap wal-mart primer, and works very good for $1 a can, but the best stuff i used is painters touch primer. It was awesome, it was smooth, covers super well, and was like $4 a can!:D

Bimmerkid
03-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by themodelkid
I use this really cheap wal-mart primer, and works very good for $1 a can, but the best stuff i used is painters touch primer. It was awesome, it was smooth, covers super well, and was like $4 a can!:D

Bah, a word of caution. Never, ever use an enamel with it. Spiderwebs like crazy. :( Had to strip a body and a ton of spoiler/fender/misc. parts for my Tom's supra because of it.

It works really good with (I think it's) laquer though, I did my Z with it and it turned out perfectly. :)

EDIT - I checked, I'm not sure whether it's laquer or not.. And for you people who don't want to pay a lot for Tamiya sprays, try Rust-oleum Cobalt Blue Metallic with the Painter's Touch primer. It's like Mica Blue, except less expensive and a much larger can. :)

Integra14
03-27-2003, 12:57 PM
HOw about AUTOMOTIVE white primer?? I have to get some Pearl White paint, and i am prolly gonna get some auto primer, and auto clear cote.... good idea??? or cani use, any primer, auto paint, and auto clear.?? will it make a difference?

Add your comment to this topic!