Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Accord LX transmission

Asianbrother7
03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
I have an Accord LX 2000, 4 cylinder. The transmission is whinnying (even while it's in Park) and it won't shift out of first gear anymore. In fact I have to wait several seconds before it even engages into first gear. Fluid level looks within range, but the fluid is a little dirty looking. Normally I would say a low fluid level is the issue, but the fluid level is within range. Suggestions?

somick
03-02-2009, 02:03 PM
I would try to change fluid for starters. Honda ATF does wonders!

Sam

Asianbrother7
03-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah I gave that a thought. I'd hate to change the fluid and then learn the transmission is toast, but I guess if a fluid change can fix it that would be a small price as compared to a whole transmission. I find it hard to believe, but I'm told there is no transmission filter on these things. Is that true?

jeffcoslacker
03-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah I gave that a thought. I'd hate to change the fluid and then learn the transmission is toast, but I guess if a fluid change can fix it that would be a small price as compared to a whole transmission. I find it hard to believe, but I'm told there is no transmission filter on these things. Is that true?

There is, but it's an internal screen, not really serviceable.

That one sounds pretty far gone. My wild guess would be that you are hearing what's left of a severely cavitated pump, and it can no longer generate enough fluid pressure to engage or shift gears.

See if raising the idle to about 2000 rpm makes it hook up faster when you first put it in gear. That would also support that diagnosis...

Asianbrother7
03-03-2009, 12:48 PM
If I give it gas it does engage faster. It just won't go into second gear. It just revs up and doesn't shift. Sad thing is the transmission was replaced 60k miles ago by Honda, because there was a recall or TSB on it or something. Is there any other way to confirm the diagnosis besides raising the idle? I just want to be sure I've exausted every avenue before I drop a transmission in it.

ProMan
03-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Hopefully it's electronic, not mechanical, it's easier to repair. I would suggest you to test the shift solinoids, just to make sure they are good before you plung into big money hole.

jeffcoslacker
03-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Hopefully it's electronic, not mechanical, it's easier to repair. I would suggest you to test the shift solinoids, just to make sure they are good before you plung into big money hole.

Normally I'd agree, but solenoids control up/down shifts, not initial engagement. That's all hydraulic. Delayed engagement points to loss of fluid pressure, clutchpacks not applying until sufficient pressure builds. Coupled with whining or howling when not in gear and lack of upshift with slippage (shift initiates, but all the hydro pressure is expended before the next range can be applied) points to a huge hydro blow-off somewhere internally or lack of pressure from the pump to begin with...

When solenoids go bad they engage from park or neutral, but fail to upshift and just hang in the range they get stuck in, but don't fall out of engagement and slip...

Raising the idle and getting a faster engagement doesn't totally confirm it, but does suggest that a lack of fluid pressure is the culprit...the causes can be many, but pump failure is common with the noise you describe...

Still should be checked by a tranny pro...could be something common to Honda trannies that I'm not familiar with.

A shop can check fluid pressure at service ports and tell if the pump is shot or if there's a restriction or internal seal hemorrhage that's causing the problem.

I guess you haven't felt out Honda about a warranty on the replacement unit?

FrankVtec88
03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
jeffcoslacker, that is some wicked insight. i had the exact same problem on sunday! i noticed a slippage in shifting in october 08, then progressively worsened to the point where if the tranny wasn't warm, it wouldn't engage at all. Then it got to asianbrother7's condition of barely engaging 1st gear, and when it would try to shift up i would lose all pressure and it would feel like hanging in neutral. i took it to where i work, canadian tire, and replaced the tranny. fastest and cheapest fix i could do, since it only cost me 250 canadian dollars.

FrankVtec88
03-04-2009, 03:27 PM
One question for jeffcoslacker, if electronics don't work, it should send a code to the ECM right?

jeffcoslacker
03-05-2009, 07:38 AM
One question for jeffcoslacker, if electronics don't work, it should send a code to the ECM right?

Uusually OBDII vehicles will. Earlier ones sometimes wouldn't. Depended on the nature of the malfunction and how the ECM perceived performance...OBDII's have a lot more crosschecking and info to work with...

In all probability that 2000 would code if there was any transhift solenoid malfuntions or wiring issues happening...

Add your comment to this topic!