Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alternator + bearing + front bumper replacement help please

Krule
03-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Hello everyone im back again with some more problems hah :)

Car: Grand prix Gt 1999 3.8L 435K :O New engine.

So my alternater is sounding like a fire alarm sometimes *usually when it's really cold* wondering if i should have someone rebuild it or just replace it, ill have to find out on prices i suppose.

My passenger side bearing *i think* is going as when i turn into steady right hand curves i get a wounding sound, and sharp right hand turns i right a crunching sound *sounds really awful*. Any suggestions on replacement or if it's something else thats gone?

Recent minor car crash and need a new front bumper, anyone have a site who can sell a front bumper for cheap?

Thanks guys,

-Kyle

BNaylor
03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Since you are up in Canada really not much advice we can give you as to parts cost and availability. IMO you are better off getting a new OE or aftermarket alternator instead of doing a rebuild.

As to your wheel bearing front hubs issue. Listening to noise depending on how the steering is turned is deceptive. You are better replacing the front hubs in pairs.

Especially considering your mileage which is 270296 miles converted.

Airjer_
03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
If your turning right and the noise gets louder than it would be more likely to be the left (DRIVER) side wheel bearing. There are plenty of exceptions to this rule but the above would be the norm. You can also jack up the front of the car and spin the tires while holding onto the strut spring. You will feel a vibration for the one that is bad. Another thing to try is hold the tire at the 12 and 6 position and try to push pull on it. If it has play it is in the wheel bearing.

Krule
03-02-2009, 12:51 PM
If your turning right and the noise gets louder than it would be more likely to be the left (DRIVER) side wheel bearing. There are plenty of exceptions to this rule but the above would be the norm. You can also jack up the front of the car and spin the tires while holding onto the strut spring. You will feel a vibration for the one that is bad. Another thing to try is hold the tire at the 12 and 6 position and try to push pull on it. If it has play it is in the wheel bearing.

Hmmm i mean i can understand that and ill give it a try, but it really sounds like it's coming from the passenger side, i've already done an outer tie rod and bushing on the driver side.

Alternator seems to be quite expensive price for a new one or even aftermarket from what i see around here.. maybe ill check some scrap yards.

BNaylor
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I went through the same issue with my GTP a few years ago and wound up replacing both hubs after some frustrating troubleshooting. The noise test via steering did not work in my case.

You have very high mileage so that is a factor to consider.

Krule
03-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I went through the same issue with my GTP a few years ago and wound up replacing both hubs after some frustrating troubleshooting. The noise test via steering did not work in my case.

You have very high mileage so that is a factor to consider.

Yeah i think ill just change them both out, looking up napa car quest all these places + scrap yards to find out prices.

Do you happen to have a hub removal guide?

BNaylor
03-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Yes sir! Glad you asked. Visit our Tips & Maintenance forum and take your choice. A few good write ups on hub replacement. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

CrazyHorst
03-02-2009, 06:10 PM
IMHO, having the alternator rebuilt is generally more cost effective, I've found.

The downside is that the vehicle is "down for the count" for potentially a few days while the alternator is off at the rebuilder's shop. If you buy one with a "core charge" generally you are paying a slight premium for the convenience of getting it NOW.

Same thing generally applies to starter motors too.

wlkjr
03-03-2009, 02:44 AM
I had mine rebuilt for about half the cost of a new one and it was ready the next day. If it's getting noisy, it won't last much longer.

BNaylor
03-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I had mine rebuilt for about half the cost of a new one and it was ready the next day.

What did it cost you Wally? I can get a refurbed Delco CS-130D alternator for around $100 with exchange from a local shop. No down time waiting. These are the OE Delco alternators redone which includes installing the proper rebuild kit in its entirety consisting of pre-loaded brush assembly, heavy duty voltage regulator, heavy duty rectifier, front & rear bearings and the battery terminal. The problem with a lot of shops that specialize in electrical component rebuilds is they may skimp on what parts are replaced so you never know what you are going to get as a direct result. Replace, if necessary in many cases so reliability may be a factor. Also, if you like doing this type work and have the time to waste you can get a CS-130D rebuild kit with the above components for around $50-$60 and do it yourself.

grandprixgtx00
03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
if the wheel bearing is bad enough...you can raise the car in the air and grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock and if the tire has play in it then its gonna be that side.

as far as the alternator...are you sure thats what the sound is? the only reason i ask is because the serp tentioner makes some pretty mean noises when its going bad also.

edit: as far as the front bumber, you could try Ed Morad (http://www.moradpartscompany.com/) (click link)

Krule
03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
if the wheel bearing is bad enough...you can raise the car in the air and grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock and if the tire has play in it then its gonna be that side.

as far as the alternator...are you sure thats what the sound is? the only reason i ask is because the serp tentioner makes some pretty mean noises when its going bad also.

edit: as far as the front bumber, you could try Ed Morad (http://www.moradpartscompany.com/) (click link)

Now im not sure if it's the front or the rear.. Positive its coming from the passenger side but i hear it worst when i go in reverse turning the wheel to the right backing out or in sharp turns turning right. Makes me wonder if it's not a drive axle or something possibly.. im pretty it's the alternator because the drive belt is fine almost new actually, and it gets worst when you speed up. Easy way is put it in park give it some gas you can hear it squeeling easily and it feels like the end bearing is gone when you play with it.

Also seems like my fan died.. and blower motor or heater core anyways because fan speeds 3-5 work *not so well, 3 feels like 1 and 4 like 3* and 1-2 don't work at all. Also it doesn't blow really warm air until im halfway done my 60km drive to work.. and almost like manual steering when it's colder out.. Great!

Wondering if i shouldn't just take the car in for a safety test and tell them some of the things im experiencing.

Maybe it's just time for a newer car...

wlkjr
03-04-2009, 07:25 AM
What did it cost you Wally? I can get a refurbed Delco CS-130D alternator for around $100 with exchange from a local shop. No down time waiting. These are the OE Delco alternators redone which includes installing the proper rebuild kit in its entirety consisting of pre-loaded brush assembly, heavy duty voltage regulator, heavy duty rectifier, front & rear bearings and the battery terminal. The problem with a lot of shops that specialize in electrical component rebuilds is they may skimp on what parts are replaced so you never know what you are going to get as a direct result. Replace, if necessary in many cases so reliability may be a factor. Also, if you like doing this type work and have the time to waste you can get a CS-130D rebuild kit with the above components for around $50-$60 and do it yourself.

Cost me $56 to get mine rebuilt about 4 months ago. Had my cousins rebuilt at the same place for an '89 Cavalier and it was about$65. Go figure.
My original had 235,000 miles and wasn't broken, just decided I'd better head it off at the pass. About 130,000 miles later the bearings were making a loud noise.

wlkjr
03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Now im not sure if it's the front or the rear.. Positive its coming from the passenger side but i hear it worst when i go in reverse turning the wheel to the right backing out or in sharp turns turning right. Makes me wonder if it's not a drive axle or something possibly.. im pretty it's the alternator because the drive belt is fine almost new actually, and it gets worst when you speed up. Easy way is put it in park give it some gas you can hear it squeeling easily and it feels like the end bearing is gone when you play with it.

Also seems like my fan died.. and blower motor or heater core anyways because fan speeds 3-5 work *not so well, 3 feels like 1 and 4 like 3* and 1-2 don't work at all. Also it doesn't blow really warm air until im halfway done my 60km drive to work.. and almost like manual steering when it's colder out.. Great!

Wondering if i shouldn't just take the car in for a safety test and tell them some of the things im experiencing.

Maybe it's just time for a newer car...

Repairs are probably less than one month's payment on a new car.
Loosen the belt and spin the alternator pulley by hand and you can hear the bearing grind if that's your problem. I've also had bearings in the water pump make a noise without leaking.

Krule
03-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Repairs are probably less than one month's payment on a new car.
Loosen the belt and spin the alternator pulley by hand and you can hear the bearing grind if that's your problem. I've also had bearings in the water pump make a noise without leaking.

Did that sounds very squeeky and gets worst the more you spin it

Krule
03-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Well alternator was pretty well dead and was noisy as hell but theres something else thats going as well thats noisy like an electrical sound gets worst when you give the car some gas and more noticeable when you turn the wheel in any direction.. Not sure can this be power steering or maybe the water pump like some else stated? i have a water pump from my old motor thats fine could get a gasket and do that next.

Basically with my alternator and $20 i got one from a 99 grand prix with 130k on it so not that bad.

Krule
03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
The electrical sound honestly goes at the same rate the engine revs at, like you rev it and it's the same height in electrical sound going on... sounds like one of those hot wheel cars you'd race around on a track with a remote control....

wlkjr
03-09-2009, 11:59 PM
The electrical sound honestly goes at the same rate the engine revs at, like you rev it and it's the same height in electrical sound going on... sounds like one of those hot wheel cars you'd race around on a track with a remote control....
Alternators sometimes make a very loud whizzing sound, but not like when we whiz.

Krule
03-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Alternators sometimes make a very loud whizzing sound, but not like when we whiz.

Well power steering pump is going, and from what some guys have told me it sounds like transmission noise when you rev the engine.. which could make sense since i`m at 435k on this transmission..

BNaylor
03-11-2009, 10:22 AM
The power steering pump make a whining sound when it goes bad which will change as you turn the steering due to the load. If the autotransaxle makes a similar sound then you have a problem with it. So what is it?

Add your comment to this topic!