half door problems

dkratz
03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm not sure I can explain my problem without posting a photo but here goes. I bought a 1995 Wrangler last Monday. I want to remove the soft top of the half doors.....I bought a Chilton's service book for years 1987-1995. The photos and instructions in the book are confusing. For example, it says to turn the window retaining sleeves 1/4 turn to the left, then pull them up and out of the door. I can't find anything that can be turned to the left. It can't be the window frame because its welded as one piece and can't be turned. Can someone who has a 95 with a soft top set me straight? By the way, I have shown the Jeep to at least 10 buddies and no one has a clue to fix my problem.

fredjacksonsan
03-06-2009, 08:46 AM
You're right, hard to tell without a picture. If you can post one up, that would be good.

But that said, is the window frame one piece with 3 posts going into the door? Do the posts enter into plastic sleeves or slots? If so, you might have the newer style door. If this is true, then you can simply grasp the top portion near the front and rear, and pull straight up. It will come out of the door. To replace, put the front post in first, then line up the other two and push into place.

Hope that helps; if you don't have the newer version then post up a picture.

ranclark
03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
You need to pull the canvas frame cover out of the retainer along the bottom where it meets the door half. The canvas has a plastic lip that runs the entire length of the door canvas. In fact, the same type of clip runs the entire length along canvas top.

Add your comment to this topic!