Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Clean your oil pump pick up screen without removing the pan!

G0ldRush
03-01-2009, 09:13 PM
The only way to remove sludge from a pick up screen is pour kerosene in to the conduct that goes direct to the oil pump, for that there's a way that I
build this little thing. Take a new original oil filter that goes into your engine, cut it with a dremmel in 3 parts so the smallest part approx 1 1/2 inch will be used for an insert by cutting the ring a little on the circonference to fit inside the other 2 pieces. Remove the paper filter inside the filter ans accessory. Get at the plumbing store a 1/4 inch adaptor for plastic hose and the other side nut and washer under the cap. Join the pieces together with JB weld and some pops rivets. Allow enough plastic tube ( 4 feet). Now, how to proceed. Flush your engine oil and leave it open, put an empty bucket under the pan to recuperate the kerosene. Take off your old oil filter. Before putting your flush filter, you have to plug the inside of the shaft that goes inside the filter why? because no kerosene has to go there, I use wine bottle liege, it has to fit tight and next screw your canister slowly by hand and tightened just enough. Insert your plastic tube and with a small funnel pour some clear kerosene slowly untill you see it at about 6 inches from to top of the tube. Take a compressor with an adator that fit in to the tube and blow the dam thing, you wont believe what is going to come out from the oil pan!!!!!!
Repeat this 3 times, let it evaporate a few minutes and put back a new filter and oil and your oil pressure will come back has it was before :))
http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/11/09/71/78/invent10.jpg

http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/11/09/71/78/invent11.jpg

http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/11/09/71/78/invent12.jpg

http://i69.servimg.com/u/f69/11/09/71/78/invent13.jpg

J-Ri
03-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Oh boy... where to start...???

I'll start with "never use kerosene to clean an engine, or anything else for that matter"
Then... why would the screen get plugged in the first place? Keep the oil clean and it won't get plugged.
It seems that runing kerosene through the oil pump would get all the oil out of it, the oil pump is basically just two gears, which really shouldn't be subjected to dry starts.
Also, I'm fairly sure you're backwards on the flow through the filter, but I've never needed to know which way it flows.

CoolasIce
03-03-2009, 06:07 PM
The oil goes thru the small holes around the filter plate and comes out the center. That I know.
Personally, I don't think the kerosene will hurt anything, as long as it is drained and replaced with oil before starting the engine. The oil pump gears, or rotor are directly connected to the engine. I don't see how it can turn to flush out any sludge unless the engine is running. If you have some pictures of the crud that came out of the engine, I'd like to see that. Thanks for the info.

G0ldRush
03-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Oh boy... where to start...???

I'll start with "never use kerosene to clean an engine, or anything else for that matter"
Then... why would the screen get plugged in the first place? Keep the oil clean and it won't get plugged.
It seems that runing kerosene through the oil pump would get all the oil out of it, the oil pump is basically just two gears, which really shouldn't be subjected to dry starts.
Also, I'm fairly sure you're backwards on the flow through the filter, but I've never needed to know which way it flows.

Did you know that ford company has a machine that flush engine completly starting with the oil filter inlet?
http://www.redwoodgeneral.com/img/photos/engine-flush.gif
Step 1
Heated Bilstein R-2000 Engine Flush solution is pumped through the oil filter port at 42 PSI.

Step 2
R-2000 Engine Flush solution flows through the engine's lubrication system dissolving sludge and varnish.

Step 3
R-2000 Engine Flush solution back flushes the oil pump pickup screen. Dissolved sludge, varnish and debris flow to the oil pan where it is vacuum extracted to the BILSTEIN R-2000 Engine Flush Machine. Particulates over 3 microns are removed through three stages of ultra-fine filtration.

Oil Changes Are Not Enough
While oil filters remove particulate over 25 microns, sludge, tar, varnish and wear metals less than 25 microns continue to circulate within the engine and accumulate in the passageways, oil pump and oil pan. These contaminates cause engine wear, higher operating temperatures, and reduced lubrication.

Past Procedures Compound the Problem
Simply pouring chemical flush additives into the crankcase is ineffective. Dissolved sludge, particulate and accumulated debris continue to circulate causing significant engine wear.

CoolasIce
03-03-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm all for it if it works, but

Don't believe it works just because Ford or Bilstein says so
I still don't see how the kerosene circulates past the non moving oil pump
In the average engine, the sludge will accumulate only in stagnant areas of the engine where it can do no harm
Instead of trying to circulate the kerosene that way, I imagine you could just pour a couple of gallons of it in the crankcase thru the valve cover, let it sit for a while (maybe jump up and down on the front bumper to shake it around a bit), and then drain it out.

G0ldRush
03-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm all for it if it works, but

Don't believe it works just because Ford or Bilstein says so
I still don't see how the kerosene circulates past the non moving oil pump
In the average engine, the sludge will accumulate only in stagnant areas of the engine where it can do no harm
Instead of trying to circulate the kerosene that way, I imagine you could just pour a couple of gallons of it in the crankcase thru the valve cover, let it sit for a while (maybe jump up and down on the front bumper to shake it around a bit), and then drain it out.

Well pouring kerosene by valve cover is a bad thing why because kerosene get in contact with engine components, you may fill crankcase if you want by the dipstick, but in my case pouring by the oil filter only and has I mentionned plug in the shaft because thats where the oil flow to the rockers. The distance between the oil filter and the pick up screen is less then 12 inches and with the oil pan screw open no kerosene comes in contact with any engine part that is very important, I dont say that creen is clogged at 75% but look
http://www.wulfers.net/auto/repairs/9-5sump/files/page66_15.jpg

oil will flow in this screen but it doent mean that if yout oil is clear that you dont have steel mashed debris on your screen ?
http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/07/26/00//medium/0900c15280072600.gif

CoolasIce
03-03-2009, 09:52 PM
That is a lot of crud. Where did it come from? Nylon timing gear? Tensioner pad that rubs against the timing chain?

G0ldRush
03-03-2009, 10:35 PM
That is a lot of crud. Where did it come from? Nylon timing gear? Tensioner pad that rubs against the timing chain?
That is carbon that came from the lower intake melted with steel engines debris cooked with oil engine and sludge into the screen, it's like a BBQ grill after you cooked a few steaks

Classicrocjunkie
03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Dumping 1/2 can of sea foam into the crank case and driving 500 miles and doing an oil change will do the same thing...

Less BS too.

Add your comment to this topic!