Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

suggestions for shocks 98 2WD Limited 4Runnr

scottgoood
03-01-2009, 03:38 PM
My 98 2WD 4runner limited needs shocks. I'd appreciate any experiences other owners have on which brands to look at. My 4runner is strictly highway and mountain driving only all on pavement or graded gravel roads.
Thanks , Scott

Airjer_
03-01-2009, 06:44 PM
When my Tacoma needed shocks I went straight to the dealer. I could get the O.E. ones for less than the aftermarkets! How many hundred of thousands of miles did those O.E. ones last? For me it was around a 100k. Do you think the aftermarkets will do the same?

scottgoood
03-05-2009, 06:23 AM
thanks for the reply airier, I can see that I'm going to have to do some more research. I checked one site that sells Oe toyota parts and it didn't list any applications for my 2WD 1998.

jdmccright
03-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I've only had experience with Monroe MaxAir shocks which can be stiffened/softened according to the air pressure. They're only made for rear apps and they're nice when you have to load the truck down and want to maintain a level ride, but there is some sacrifice in unloaded rear end control. Unloaded ride was a bit hoppy unless you cranked the pressure up. Installation is more of a chore, having to route the air lines can be a bit of a pain and in some cases the fatter shock bodies will interfere with sway bars. For someone who needs more of a hauler than a daily driver, I'd suggest them...which is not your case it seems.

If I had my choice for daily driver use, I'd probably go with either Bilsteins or one of the base Rancho part #s (RS 5000) for maintaining good ride with a bit of added control. Then maybe Monroe Sensatrac.

Good luck & let us know what you chose & how they are!

Brian R.
03-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Many people recommend Bilsteins. I have had great luck with Konis on other vehicles.

Tomsriv
04-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I put Monroe Sense-a-tracks in my 4runner nearly 80,000 miles ago and they are still going strong. They ride more harsh than factory, but they are good for spirited driving. I never go off-road either.

fourwd1
04-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Old Man EMu or Bilstein

Add your comment to this topic!